Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping No Claims Bonus?!

Options
  • 12-02-2022 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi all, I would appreciate any help, so I changed jobs and got a company car.. Sold my own and afaik I have 2 years to buy something to keep my no claims bonus. I was thinking a motorbike,cheap and cheerful , insure it to keep the full NCB, and just stick it in the garage bar a couple of spins in the summer... But I read that the car NCB won't transfer... So is there any other cheap way of keeping my full NCB bar obviously buying a car?? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes car NCB is completely seperate to motorbike NCB. Can't see any other way than to buy a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

If you're married, yourself and your wife can alternate insurance on a family car. And so keep both your NCBs alive.

Failing that, stick with jobs with company cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Horse1920

Many thanks.. She's in a company wagon for now as well.. Might have to bite the bullet in a year or so.. Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Horse1920

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

That's a interesting.

I did not renew my insurance a few months back because WFH we don't need a second car.

I have about 18 months left before I lose my NCB.

My wife is the main insured on the family car and I am a named driver.

The family car is also registered in her name.

My wife's insurance is up next month.

What would be the downside to us swapping year on year.

Would we also have to change the ownership of the car ?

Would my wife be penalized for not having insurance ?

Would I be penalized for not having insurance for a year ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

I think if you are married either name can be owner of car.

Yiu may get penalised if you have not been insured recently but it may be easier to ring a broker and ask them.

Advertisement