Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement of top clay chimney liner

Options
  • 12-02-2022 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is the wrong place for this and also if I get the wording of some stuff wrong,

The top clay liner(the one that can be seen outside) has caved in/cracked, I haven't been up on the roof as I don't like heights, but from what I can see it's only partially broken (I can still partially see parts of the chimney pot protruding from the top), I only noticed because the wire crow chimney guard was on my front lawn along with pieces of my liner, not that it's relevant but it's the open fire chimney, I lit the fire a couple of times and the smoke is exiting as normal, yet I'm going to refrain from lighting it again as I assume it wouldn't be the safe thing to do, only six months ago I had lads out cleaning both chimneys with a drill powered machine, and they checked with cameras(was looking to see if my chimneys required stainless steel liners) and everything seemed ok so they said, they install the liners and I would have thought if anything was wrong they would encourage me to allow them to install the liner, but as I said they said everything seemed ok and there were no need for liners yet.... So how would I go about it, could I just go along and get a clay pot and get a professional to replace the top chimney pot, many thanks in advance for advice...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

It's a straightforward task to fit a replacement clay chimney pot. Getting someone to do work these days is the hardest part.

Advertisement