Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a new iPhone due to iOS software

Options
  • 12-02-2022 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

I'm thinking of going on to iPhone 6 technology as that allows for iOS software updates that come up quite far. But if I do, will I be caught again in a couple of years if the newer phones don't support the older technology?

I've been surviving on an iPhone 5 for quite a while. But at this stage there's quite a few apps I need now that I don't have the phone iOS software for, and after already updating the software on this phone, it now can't go beyond iOS 11. 

What's my best bet. I don't like the way smart phones are so big. I was lucky with the iPhone 5 as it was quite small There's an iPhone that has the body of an iPhone 5 but the software of an iPhone 6. What's it called?

It's a pity none of these apps work on your PC too. Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Tech_Head

There was the iPhone 5S and later, the iPhone SE (1st generation).

The current iOS (15) is available on the below devices. The 1st generation SE would suit you size wise but widely expected to not be compatible with the updates that come out this year

There’s rumoured to be a 3rd generation iPhone SE announced next month. So either the iPhone SE 2nd/3rd generation would be the best phone. If money not a major concern, take a look at the 12 mini and 13 mini. Small phones with big screens.

iOS 15 Compatibility list:

• iPhone 13
    • iPhone 13 mini
    • iPhone 13 Pro
    • iPhone 13 Pro Max
    • iPhone 12
    • iPhone 12 mini
    • iPhone 12 Pro
    • iPhone 12 Pro Max
    • iPhone 11
    • iPhone 11 Pro
    • iPhone 11 Pro Max
    • iPhone Xs
    • iPhone Xs Max
    • iPhone Xr
    • iPhone X
    • iPhone 8
    • iPhone 8 Plus
    • iPhone 7
    • iPhone 7 Plus
    • iPhone 6s
    • iPhone 6s Plus
    • iPhone SE (1st generation)
    • iPhone SE (2nd generation)
    • iPod touch (7th generation)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 In Actuality

Thanks,

This one below is refurbished. But I what does that really mean I wonder? It doesn't say what iOS level it has. It doesn't say what generation it is.

But if this phone supports iOS of up to 15, then it would probably be another 8 years before I'd have to move onto something new??

https://www.refurbed.ie/p/iphone-se-2016/315b/?co=ie&utm_cluster=gradeB&utm_content=iphone-se-2016-315b&utm_group=iphone-se-2016&co=ie&utm_campaign=smart&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_content=&cq_plac=&cq_net=u&cq_pos=&cq_med=&cq_plt=gp&gclid=Cj0KCQiA0p2QBhDvARIsAACSOOOQS69PhK0eAF67jpgFxT6EpA-C1_ryu9U1r5M6sjGFS2Q0pT_jEBUaAn5DEALw_wcB

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Tech_Head

Haven’t heard of that site before so can’t recommend them. Yes, that will do the current software. It’s pretty limited storage wise but you should be ok.

I’d still recommend the newer SE if you can spring for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

I’m also using an iPhone5 but have a new iPad and a desktop for anything else, my OH got the SE and it really is excellent, well worth the money seeing as how long iPhones last.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

How much do you want to spend and are you looking at SIM free?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

If you want to maintain significant hardware support for newer versions of iOS you’ll need a newer model phone. The 6S probably had the longest run.

A 12 or 13 mini would see support for many years.

You can also run iOS apps natively on Apple’s new M1 powered

it's the work vivo app that I need. It's a pity that I can't use that same app online somehow on my laptop! Why are all these apps specific to phones? Or are they not?

Well i have a sim, so I guess I don't need another one.

Sorry but what do you mean by natively? An M1 powered?

And what's a 12 mini?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Your iPhone runs on software called iOS. This is called an operating system. Apps are designed to work with the various bits operating system makes available to them.

Your PC probably runs on Windows. This is also an operating system. All of this software requires hardware. In a typical computer you have storage, memory and processing. All your photos might be stored on a hard drive or solid state drive. If you want to edit a photo in an App Windows copies that image data to memory so that the processor can perform operations on it based on what you tell your app to do. Memory allows fast access to the data which is good because the processor can perform millions of operations per second.

The processor in your Windows PC was probably made by Intel. Apple’s own line of computers are called Macs. For the last decade they have also used Intel processors.

The iPhone is different. It needed to be powerful but also power efficient, something Intel cannot do well. So Apple went and designed their own processors for iPhones and iPads. They have names like the A14. The iPhone 6 has an older A8. These processors are not as complex as an Intel processor but this allows them to be fast and efficient. Because of this Apple A series processors have begun to outperform Intel processors in certain Apps.

So why would Apple continue to use Intel processors for their Mac computers? Last year they released the M1, an Apple designed processor for Macs. This was followed by the M1 Pro and M1 Max. These are very powerful and energy efficient. But since they’re build with the same technology as the iPhone processors it means you can simply run any iPhone app on a new Mac with an M series chip. No ifs, buts or anything. Just works.

The only catch is that Macs, like iPhones, are expensive.

An iPhone 12 mini is a newer iPhone with the latest and greatest processor but in a size much the same as the iPhone 5.

• Advertisement
Advertisement