Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for options to replace mechanical thermostat with smart but cloudless control

Options
  • 11-02-2022 5:13pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So downstairs I have a Baxi 35/60 gas boiler, it's got an integrated mechanical timer and heats a single zone (all rads plus hot water). The wired, mechanical thermostat is in the landing with what appears to be two live wires and an earth (pictured below).

I'd like to add some level of smart to the heating controls. Without a requirement for the cloud ideally, but local smart is fine (home assistant integration preferred). In particular I'd like to have the main thermostat in a different room than the landing.

My questions:

• Is there an off the shelf solution that'll do what I want?
    • Would putting a Shelly or other neutral-free relay on the current thermostat wires be a feasible DIY option? (Thermostat to be a separate device controlled by home assistant)
    • Am I better off ignoring the landing thermostat altogether and wiring into the boiler directly?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Have a look at my posts over in this thread. It seems like our requirements are similar.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058221041/climote-alternative

Advertisement