Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

post-Brexit purchase of laptops from UK (the UK keyboard problem) anyone have experience of costs?

• 10-02-2022 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

(if this is the wrong place mods apols)

Problem:

I've been asked to equip a customer with Laptops as part of their working from home drive, ongoing volume. I've been asked to provide the real breakdown for this purchase detailing potential Brexity customs charges. I wonder if anyone on here has recently purchased a batch of machines from the UK and if so what were the customs implications?

more detail ==>

So my last experience of doing this was simpler pre-Brexit times and I want to use the same supplier as usual, a reliable outfit we've worked with for 20+ years but whom 90% deal with UK "mainland" only companies (I may in fact be their only Dublin based customer). They tried to figure it out for me but threw their hat at it eventually in frustration.

I want to continue to buy from these guys because of the excellent service over the years BUT the fundamental issue now anyway is that with ALL Laptops (very like the problem of used RHD cars) is that we're on UK keyboards whether we choose to accept it or not glued at the hip to the UK in that regard...because of the humble keyboard. I know of a Dutch outfit that actually retrofit the UK keyboard into laptops in order to sell on into Ireland but that opens up cans of works of a technical nature that I don't want to touch

Costwise I know that buying from an Irish reseller is always going to be waaay more expensive, I know they are getting their machines from the same root UK sources I do anyway and further adding their own cut on top again. I tried to make various enquiries but so far confusion....I got some barstool advice to construct a purchase route via NI which sounds a little too good to be true lol...but then again maybe it's not

anyone done this recently and can advise?

thanks!

Advertisement