Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

immergas zeus mini boiler issue

Options
  • 10-02-2022 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

so we have this immergas zeus mini boiler in our house. apparently no one is able or willing to service that thing - and replacing it is going to cost us like 5000 euros as all the pipes will have to be removed and replaced with bigger ones as the builders of our estate used the smallest pipes that work with this boiler. new boilers that are installed today dont work with those small diameter pipes. a local plumber once ordered a new motherboard for it and replaced it when it stopped working half a year ago. but i feel he wants to push us towards hiring him to replace the boiler entirely.

anyway, we have the issue that the boiler simply doesnt heat our ground floor radiators anymore randomly. when that happens, i have to reset the boiler, after which it does heat again. thats annoying. there is this dial which has 4 positions: "off, water, water and radiator, reset". so i have to turn it over to reset for like 5 seconds or so until the lights start flashing, then you can hear the boiler firing up again, and then the radiators downstairs actually get warm. the problem does not exist on the 1st and 2nd floor.

does anyone have this boiler? any suggestions what we can do for that problem? could this be a themostat setting? we have one that has 3 timeslots you have to set up for heating (which is stupid in itself). and it heats regardless - even if its boiling hot because its a sunny day, if its set to heat from 3pm to 4pm, it will turn on and heat.

according to the plumber this companies boilers arent really present anymore in ireland, so he wants us to get it replaced entirely. but due to the cost we cant do that anytime soon, so i have to keep this one going for some time. also he says that the existing flue cant be used with any other boiler he would install, so he would have to put a new flue piping along the bathroom ceiling and make a new hole outside from there which annoys me even more. having that stupid pipe/gas tunnel crap on the ceiling... what the hell.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

It's rather weird that only one floor isn't being heated.

Do you think it's a common rail of pipes that serves the whole house? I mean, should the hot water circulate in all radiators on all floors at the same moment? Or is each floor served by the hot water in the radiator at different times of the day?

In the first case, I can't see why the ground floor shouldn't receive the hot water along with the other radiators.

In the second case, do you have any valve that allows each floor to be heated at certain times?

I have an Immergas Avio Maior at home, and every now and then it only warms up the radiator water a little, say around 40°C, rather than making it really hot, around 65°C, and I have found out that the problem is in one of the NTC sensors in the hot water circuit.

It's a sensor that is inserted in one of the copper pipes inside the boiler, it has a blue connector. If I hit it with a tool, like a screwdriver handle, when it isn't heating up the water enough, then it kind of behaves, and for a few days I'm OK.

I'm planning on replacing it one day, I have found the item on ebay at around €6.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

i'm.... not sure. all i know is that we have 2 heating zones - ground floor is zone 1, and 1st and 2nd floor are zone 2. and i dont think the radiators themseves are the issue, as when they heat, they heat up from corner to corner. so i dont think there any sludge or whatever in them.

i'm not really comfortable opening and servicing this thing myself, but your idea with the sensor might be worth a look! thanks!

So you have two different and independent zone that work at different times of the day? Say, zone 1 during the day, and zone 2 at night?

Then you should have two motor valves, and one isn't working correctly?

I understand you with not feeling comfortable opening and servicing. I opened up mine because I didn't have much to lose, moreover it was a Saturday when it first showed this issue and it was freezing outside.

Removing the front cover shouldn't be too difficult, I have just two screws on the bottom side. The sensor is well visible as soon as you remove the cover, up above the burner.

In this manual it is marked with the Number 5

Though I think the problem might be in the zone valve.

we can set timing independently for each zone, but each has to have 3 times set (which is stupid), so for evening we only have a 5 minute time set for the ground floor because we are upstairs.

but anyway, thanks for the link - i might give it a shot with replacing that sensor. does it look same as the one on your immergas boiler? can you give me the model number or somethign that you looked up in ebay? "ntc thermistor" doesnt seem to give me the correct part.

I'm sorry, I didn't mention that I'm not Irish, I'm Italian and live in Italy, so the link I can give you is of an Italian ebay page

When I look for the same item on ebay.co.uk I found the same item with shipping costs of up to £63, which is absurd.

Try this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=immergas+ntc+sensor+blue&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=98

and scroll the page down, you will find the same item from China and free shipping

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

OP please be aware that it is illegal (in Ireland) to work inside the cover of a gas boiler unless you are qualified (e.g. RGI). Remember the Daniel O'Donnell ad 

😱

Even removing the cover can be dangerous, as the inexperienced will not know if it seals back properly. .

Post edited by Wearb on

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

well, i am aware, but my usual plumber is keen on selling me a new boiler (and ripping the flooring out to replace the pipes to the meter) for 5000-6000 euros, which i cant afford right now. and no one seems to be able or willing to service this immergas boiler, even though there is a company in ireland selling parts for it.

what would be your suggestion?just sit in the cold until i can afford it?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Well you know that none of us can advise you to break the law.

Phone importers, manufacturers, RGII and all local RGII's

Maybe credit union or social services with the financial end of things.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 1 claub79

Hi, did you manage to fix it or did you get someone? I have issues with mine aswell and nobody knows how to fix it

sorry for the super late reply - i dont check boards very often lol

we got it fixed by getting a new boiler. we had a ideal vogue 26kw installed. has a 12 year warranty. upside: i just today received my new bill. went from almost 800 (or 900) down to 380 this time.

downside: they didnt install it in the dedicated small boiler room. its now directly on the outside wall in the bedroom thats next to the boiler room.... bit silly. but then again i guess we can now convert the boiler room to an extra storage room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Is it actually in the bedroom?

That’s an huge reduction in gas usage.

Out of interest what did the job cost?

Advertisement