Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Samsung Galaxy S7 (RIP) - Understanding the Terminology

Options
  • 10-02-2022 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

My trusty Samsung Galaxy S7 (Dual SIM) has passed on 😥.

I'm shopping around to replace it and am confused by some of the terminology.

What does "SIM Free" mean?

I'm with Three and I assume I need an unlocked phone. What exactly should I ask for?

Some phones are advertised as 5G. Does this mean it will operate on 4G as well, or is it only for 5G?

What would be a reasonable level of RAM for a modern phone? I'm not a gamer, but I do watch videos etc.

Thanks in advance

Tommy

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

SIM free means that it'll work on any mobile network, when you buy a phone from a mobile network they will sometimes lock the phone so it'll only work on their network. It's usually fairly easy to by pass this by using a ebay seller or something, if the phone is a few years old the mobile network will probably unlock it for free.

If you're phone is 5G it'll work with the latest network as well as all the previous ones as well. I'd be guessing you aren't a big network user so I wouldn't worry about that but if you are going to be holding onto your phone as long as you did the S7 you'll probably need to get a 5G phone to future proof it.

For videos and stuff I wouldn't worry about RAM, any modern phone will work fine. I'd say most modern phones are at the same level, if not higher spec than the S7

Advertisement