Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tape for Roof felt

Options
  • 09-02-2022 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi, Can anybody recommend the best tape for repairing small holes in felt in attics. Id like to repair them as im hoping to insulate. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Deregos.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You need to be careful about what you are doing here. Bitumen roll has a lifecycle and degrades over time. Meaning if there's holes in it, it may be cause overall degradation of the material. I.e its dried out and become hard and inflexible. This means its on its way out. Insulating over this hides the problem and allows water ingress to penetrate behind the felt and behind your insulation as the felt further degrades.

Depending on age and condition. Replacing all of the felt with a newer roofing membrane is more sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

Any patching should really be done from the outside. You'll need to either get yourself up there or hire someone, and unhinge or push the slates/tiles back corresponding to the holes you need to repair. Of course - as mentioned in the previous post - felt is highly degradable over the years and this would only be a temporary measure. Finding where leaks originate is your priority... cracked or broken tiles/slates, ridges, loose flashings, etc. That should be addressed first.

In over 20 years with my own roofing company it never ceased to amaze me how many people would opt for an amateur patch-up job when a professional would do the work properly. After all, your roof is the most important part of your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭omu

Thanks all for the tips, will chat to a roofer before i try anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭youtheman

Totally agree with this. Was up in the attic of my parents 1970's bungalow trying to investigate the source of a damp patch on the ceiling. Thought it was a pipe leaking, then I felt the wind on my neck. Found a failed patch of the tar type felt. On a windy day the water was being blow under the tiles and into the attic. Looked around and saw many small hoes in the felt. Did a sample on a few locations and found that the felt was totally 'frangible' and brittle. Conclusion : the felt has a limited lifetime and the complete lot needs to be replaced.

• Advertisement
Advertisement