Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public service and self employment - AVC, PRSA or Personal Pension?

Options
  • 09-02-2022 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Looking for some advice re pensions which I am struggling to grasp. I am currently working in the civil service and also self employed, late 20s. I am keen on putting aside some of my income for my future self and pensions seems to be the most tax efficient method of doing so. I am currently part of the Single Pension Scheme (post 2013) and not allowed to make any additional contributions through this. Therefore I am looking into AVCs, PRSAs or Personal Pensions. However I am unsure what best suits me considering self employment and a possibility of that being full time in future. If this came to be I presume I would need something flexible to continue investing into the fund. I'm probably misunderstanding some things but my options as I see it are to setup

1) an AVC through work through the likes of Cornmarket (easiest revenue wise but not sure how it's affected if I ever left service)

2) a PRSA AVC with other providers (claim tax relief annually myself, more flexible for self employment?)

3) a Personal Pension (mentioned online as being good for self employed but tbh I am not even sure what the differences are between a PRSA and a Personal Pension?)

Considering the self employment aspect what would others advise as the most appropriate method?

Advertisement