Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog wants outside - but cried when I left her

Options
  • 08-02-2022 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi

We adopted a gorgeous dog a few weeks ago.

Loves spending time in the house when people are around - but other than that, will always go to the back door for outside time, if, for example, I am working from home.

She has a great kennel in the garden that she spends alot of her time in.

Couple of things...

• We kept her in initially at night, but she started crying, so we would leave her out to use the bathroom, and she would go straight into her kennel and curl up
    • I had to leave her at home last week for circa 4 hours - so I felt she would be happier in the garden. By the time I got home, I could hear her crying at the side gate ( she would never get through it / over it) - but it broke my heart! She has been outside alone ( in her kennel most of the time), when I have been working at home - and no real issue. Its almost as if she sensed I wasnt there!

Any advice? In principle, if she is happy outside at night, I am ok to leave her. She is secure and safe. During the day when I have to go - should I leave her in the house? I figure that may upset her more - hence my reasoning for leaving her outside.

I left toys and food out with her when I left last week - and she got a good 30 min walk that morning - so I really thought she would have settled ok.

RM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Do you have neighbours you can check with to see how long she was crying or even better get a cheap cctv camera and you can do a trail run and check in on her for peace of mind. If I leave my dog in the car for example while I pay at the vets he’s absolutely fine but cries when I get back to the car.

Advertisement