Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrickmines Park - Phase 3

Options
  • 08-02-2022 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭

Thought it would be good to start a thread on the impending upgrade to Carrickmines Park.

This is what it is supposed to look like https://www.iput.com/portfolio/carrickmines-park-phase-3/

I believe that the owners obtained planning permission in 2019 to build a mixed use extension to the current retail park, with a mix of retail shops, two supermarkets, a cinema, an indoor skydiving centre (?!), offices and apartments.

It seems now that they have submitted a further planning permission application, in December 2021, to change the mix of development so that more offices and apartments are built. Does anyone know anything further about that? I live nearby, and am dying for them to get started on the actual shopping centre/cinema, as it would be within walking distance of my house. I don't want it to end up being a few shops, a cafe, and the rest apartments, just because the property market in that area is booming. Plus, submitting a further planning application leads me to believe they won't start building until next year, at the earliest.

I realise that the link road to the luas has recently opened, and it certainly seems like they are laying the groundwork to start building at the site soon. Cllr Michael Fleming has also circulated an update that the development of the adjacent St James' Park is due to start soon. There just seems to be no indication of when they'll actually start building the shopping centre.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

Just bumping this post again. I see that the amended planning permission was refused at the end of February. From what I can grasp, DLCC rejected the application because the mix of development was too heavily skewed towards office and apartments. Their reasoning was that the area was zoned of "economic development" which I think means mostly retail and a certain amount of offices and maybe a small amount of apartments, but not the opposite way around. While I certainly see the need for more housing units, I am relatively happy with this rejection as the more apartments they build the less chance there will be a cinema/second supermarket/community centre. Those amenities are really needed in the area with all the new development.

I'd love to know if IPUT are amending their planning permission and thinking of submitting again, or are going to appeal, or are just going to go with the planning permission they have already received. We moved here in 2018, four years ago now, and that redevelopment was mooted back then. I just get frustrated when I see absolutely no progress four years later, especially considering it'll take at least three years to build.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'd have reservations around the road infrastructure. It's common knowledge that the traffic levels around Stepaside, Glenamuck Rd and Ballogan Rd are already a concern at peak times and the limitations of the two existing M50 bridges at Leopardstown and Carrickmines (by virtue of the horse track in Leopardstown) are insufficient to handle further road users who are transiting between the city or South County Stillorgan/Cabinteely.

The proposed Glenamuck roads scheme isn't going to alleviate the traffic at those catch-points, they will only increase the capacity for further housing and traffic between Glenamuck and Stepaside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

If people are driving to a shopping centre/cinema at Carrickmines from further north or further south, it is likely they'll come off the M50 at either Leopardstown and drive down the Ballyogan Road (which is pretty wide) or come off at Carrickmines and practically drive directly into the Park. It will affect traffic at those points on the M50 itself, but what can you do about that? You can't build another bridge between Leopardstown and Carrickmines as the off road would be cutting straight through an existing housing estate. And you can't not build amenities because of the addition of traffic on a motorway.

The real pinch points in Stepaside/Glencullen are at Stepaside village, the Kilgobbin Road, the Golden Ball and Glenamuck Road itself. The vast majority of people are not going to be driving from those directions unless they are coming from Enniskerry or Belarmine (small populations on the overall scheme of things).

You would also expect that a large proportion would come on the Luas, but given that most people will be coming from town outwards to shop/work, that shouldn't affect commuters that are making their way into town at rush hours. Saturday might need a few extra luas'.

Advertisement