Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screen Lock Software Recommendations?

Options
  • 08-02-2022 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi

I am looking for a screen lock software that will prevent me from accessing my PC. These softwares are typically used to prevent other people or your kids from accessing your PC and have an admin password for the owner to use, but I am looking for something different as I want to prevent myself from accessing the PC once I activate the screenlock each day.

I have a very specific purpose for the PC which I need to use in the morning and until I finish my work in the early afternoon. Once that time occurs I would like to manually activate a screen lock that will not unlock until the following morning. I am guessing there are time realesed softwares available but I would imagine they have an admin password that can override the lock so they would not suit my needs.

I understand my requirements are unusual but a solution would be very beneficial to my work so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

That is one unusual request, but no questions asked.

I am not aware of such software, and you don't need any.

CMD in admin mode, hit ENTER after each command. Copy/paste to avoid typos, edit in notepad as required

1. to get your USERNAME

whoami

2 to set allowed time per user per day per hours specified (hour increment).

net user USERNAME /time:M,9AM-5PM;T,9AM-5PM;W,9AM-5PM;Th,9AM-5PM;F,9AM-5PM

or

net user USERNAME /time:M-F,9:00-17:00

3 to see result what you have done

net user USERNAME

4 to change back to unrestricted

net user USERNAME /time:All

Once set, log out and you wont be able to sign in outside set hours

Note: I have not done this to myself. If you restrict last(only) user on PC that is it - you will have to wait

Post edited by smuggler.ie on

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭topazblue

Thank you for your help. The reason for my request is I have a second job which I use a different PC for and need to work that second job in the times not allowed on the PC I wish to install the screen lock on. My productivity drops when I get distratced and use the PC that I want to lock.

Is it possible at all to allow two seperate time windows as below:

Monday to Friday - 12am-12pm and 4pm-8pm

Saturday and Sunday - all day

My PC settings dont put the PC to sleep or break to a screensaver, so am I correct in saying that I need to put the PC to sleep to initiate the time lock? If I were to leave the PC outside of the allowed times (12pm-4pm Mon-Fri) would it stay unlocked?

Thank again.

Sure can

CMD in Admin mode:

net user topazblue /time:M-F,12am-12pm;M-F,4pm-8pm;Sa-Su,00-00

Once set, on attempt to sign in outside these hours you will get

Note: you must sign out after you done working(@12pm and @8pm) for this to take effect. If you stay logged in it wont close up on you.

Note: If you want to be harsh , you can have "Sign out" task(two) created - if set, it will forcibly sign you out on specified time. Potential of loosing unsaved work

Amazing! Thanks for the detailed reply.

I tried to execute the command and received a message which is different from your screenshot. I have tested it by logging off/on and it doesnt lock.

username only, that is :

admin

dont input desktop-9nhjigs\

• Advertisement

Great, thanks. Im getting this error now.

You have to run it as administrator

Next...

As i said, you have to sign out for it to be effective.

To create scheduled task(s) to get kicked out, follow up instruction below. You will have to create two tasks to be forced out @ 12:00 and @ 20:00 that you specify in position #8

Be aware - any unsaved work will be lost on set time, there will be no ... "oh wait!" , so think before put in place

position #13:

C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe

position #14:

/l /f

Amazing stuff, thanks for taking the time to help me out. It works perfectly thanks to you detailed reply.

I have two final questions if you dont mind:

1. I dont seem to be able to program the time to anything but whole hour times. I have tried to set a half hour time but it only accept times on the hour. Its not a big deal but thought I would ask your advise?
    2. Up until this point I only had a single user on the PC (admin) and your instructions have worked to lock that user perfectly. Is it possible to have a second user on the PC which would not be locked out when the admin user is locked out? I have setup a second user but I dont think it works. When I run whoami on the new user, I get the same result (admin) as when I run whoami under the primary account.

Thanks.

1. not supported, only hour increments
    2. sure can. If you have created user you should be able to sign in with its name. Sign out - all available users should be listed on log on screen(bottom left) to chose.

If want to create user, can do:

CMD in admin mode

net user USERNAME PASSWORD /add

This will create non administrator account with name USERNAME and pass PASSWORD

then sign out from admin and it should be listed for you to sign in with USERNAME

Advertisement