Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How near are you to the maximum age lived of your oldest living or now dead parent or grandparent?

Options
  • 08-02-2022 3:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,993 ✭✭✭✭
    M

How near are you to the maximum age lived of your oldest living or now dead parent or grandparent based on your current age.

I will start, I am at 52.5% of life done until I hit their age, time flies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,331 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I am 67.8% of my mother's age. My mother is still living.

Weird that you ask this question today. I am 92% of my Dad's age. He died at 57.

It's my brother's birthday this week, and he'll be 57. I was just thinking today that he'll be the same age as our Dad was when he passed.

It does make you stop and think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

My grandma (dead now) lived til 78 so I might be 43 years away from the reaper yer.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,993 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sure does, in my circle of family it was those who literally did feck all in their later years in terms of regular unnecessary doctor visits that outlived the career visitors by 5-10 years.

That's normal. If you think about it, the people least likely to visit the doctor are those who are in the best health and have the fewest problems. Unsurprisingly, with such good health, they tend to live longer.

If the frequent visitors in your family died younger than the others, surely that indicates that their frequent visits were not unnecessary? They did in fact have poorer health; that's why they died.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,356 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

My mother is still living, but I am 96.4% of the way to the age my father died at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Baybay

I am 64.2% of the age my mother was when she died & 67.5% of the age my father was but 56.84% of the age of my closest relative who is still living.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Selection bias :)

Those with the most ailments visit the doctor more than those without.

It's a real mixed bag in my family. Grandmother died in her forties after childbirth. Grandfather on the other side dropped dead of heart attack at 68. Their spouses lasted well into their early 80s. So depending on which side of the family I'm most like, I'm not even halfway there, or I'm nearly two-thirds of the way there.

Although in theory it seems like people on my Dad's side tend to all go relatively early, my Dad's aunt outlived him by 6 weeks. She was in her 90s.

Knowing how most of them died, it seems like I should do OK once I avoid smoking, keep exercising, keep the brain active and make an effort to get heart-specific checkups every couple of years. Not a single case of cancer or other terminal illness in either tree. Aside from that one grandmother, they all eventually died of heart failure/old age.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,343 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'm in my mid 40s and am at just over 50% of the longest lived one (paternal grandmother). I'm at about 90% of the shortest lived one (maternal grandfather, died young of TB)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Got an alleged >100 year old direct ancestor - but born before birth certs and the baptism record could easily be a cousin or older brother that died as a child, but in the modern era one grandparent is still alive at 96. So well below 50%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I'm 19 years younger than my dad when he died, I can clearly remember him being my age and thinking that he was old.

I still feel (and some say act!) like Im in my 20s :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I'm my mothers age when she died plus 20% and my dad's age plus 10%. Hoping I take after my grandparents, and even my great grandparents who lived well into their 80s and a couple nearly 90.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In living memory only one of the male members of my family(both sides) died before 85(TB got him back in the day) and two of my great grandfathers were over 90, so a bit to go yet. Or I could find out next week I've got a month to live. Who knows. Oddly if I were a woman in my family I'd be more concerned. Only two made it beyond 80(just) and most were gone by 70-75 and a fair few younger than that. Which is kinda the opposite of general trends.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,429 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I only knew one Grandmother and she lived to be 90.

I think both my grand father's died in there early 50's

Other Grandmother was mid seventies.

I'm nearly 30!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I am nearly the exact same age my late mother was when she died suddenly - one month shy of 47. I was 15 at the time she died.

My late father was 75 when he passed away in 2015 - so that makes my current age 63% of his life span. His younger brother, my uncle, just turned 80.

All of my mother's siblings died relatively young, my mother being the youngest of them. Uncle died at 51, another at 59 (multiple organ failure - he was a chronic alcoholic), an aunt at 69 (cancer), and another aunt making it to 72. So very poor outcomes on my mother's side. That side of the family, I have recently found out - as it certainly wasn't talked about when any of them were alive - has been dogged by mental health and addiction issues going back at least two generations. 😓

I've also lost three cousins on my mother's side too - one at 41 from breast cancer, another at 47 from a massive heart attack (like my mum), and another at 59 from a massive stroke.

My paternal grandfather was the longest living of all my grandparents, of which I knew three. He died in April 2000 having just turned 92. My current age is 51% of that long life. His mother, my great-grandmother, lived to be 97 and she died when I was 4.

My other three grandparents passed away aged 70 (maternal grandfather, just after my parents were married in 1967, so he was born in the 19th century!), maternal grandmother aged 84 in 1985 (she was in her early 40s when my mother was born) and my paternal grandmother aged 79 in 1994.

Heart problems feature very prominently in my family medical history so my own cardiac health is monitored on a regular basis.

Post edited by JupiterKid on

Strange thread. I am in the 60s, but except for accidents and wars, all my family lives to be late 90s, one grand mother to be 99 and 51 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

My grandfather died a few months off his 91st birthday a couple years ago. My grandparents were quite old for my age (29). He was born in 1928 Philadelphia and my other grandfather was born in 1919 shortly before the partition. There are people my age who have grandparents born in the 1940s.

The oldest relative I know off was my great grandfather, he died aged 97. He lived through WW1 when his 2 brothers died, War of Independence, WW2 and 19 years of the troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

My father's mother died at 83, so I'm 74.5% of the way there!

I've already overtaken both of my grandfathers and I'm not far off my father's age when he died. (86% 😳)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

@BaywatchHQ wrote

My grandparents were quite old for my age (29)

Jeez, I would have said they were quite young! Nobody I knew had any grandparents alive by the time they'd turned 15. My youngest grandparent was 69 when I born.

Depends on the history I suppose. If you're the eldest child of an eldest child then your grandparents could conceivably be in their 40s when you're born, even without shotgun weddings or teenage pregnancies.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,111 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

My oldest was my grandparents on my mothers side … they died in late ‘80’s and early ‘90’s… I think 85 and 84 were their ages… that grandmother had two sisters who were 91 and 93 when they died which for those times was good… everyone seems to live well and long…

on my fathers side where there’s is a history of heart problems and cancer they made it to 51 and 70 before succumbing to both of these conditions, respectively…a family of workaholics by all accounts….which isn’t good for your health.. my grandad went to bed and the guy never woke up again.. massive heart attack…

so I’ve well over 40 years to go using my mothers side as a barometer…

significantly less using my dads side…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,295 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My mother died at 93, so I am at 80.6% of her age. I have already outlived my father by 25 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I'm 48% of my Grandmother's age. She will be 103 this year

I thought you died nearly 2000 years ago- nice to see you’re still around - you must have a lot of stories to tell, assuming you haven’t got dementia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I am 98.4% of the age my mother died. :(

Pretty much all Parents uncles and aunts and grandparents lived between late 70s and mid 80s- one small exception of two aunts early 70s - some of these born late 1800s so not bad considering - certainly most beat the average living age for males and females at time of death

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭bmc58

I'm 102% of my fathers age(I think) when he died at 60.I'm 63.

Mmm. That would make my mother nearly 3,000 years old, wouldn't it? I don't think she'd be pleased at the suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,568 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Good question.

I'm 116% of my father's and 150% of my brother's ages when they died.

Just 67% of my grandfather's, so that's my target.

Advertisement