Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin and the Grand Canal?

Options
  • 07-02-2022 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭

Just out of historic personal interest:

Did the Grand Canal in Dublin ever extend into a basin which was just south the Guinness Brewery? Looking at Google Earth, it would seem so and also street names are referencing the Grand Canal there.

This would mean, the Grand Canal in Dublin had a branch, which most likely ran where the LUAS is now, - roughly?

Also were there ever any historic plans to connect the Grand Canal to the Liffey?

Does anybody know the answer to this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,343 ✭✭✭BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

As per the link from BrianD3, the main line was what ran to Guinness, with the branch being the spur from Suir Road down to Grand Canal Dock & the Liffey.

What do you mean were there plans to connect the Grand Canal to the Liffey though? It is already connected to the Liffey at the far corner of Grand Canal Dock, in the corner beside Brewdog pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Thanks for that one.

The locks near the Brewdog pub are known to me.

The planned connection from the Grand Canal would have ben from the Guinness Brewery to the Liffey, apparently there were plans for a small harbour as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The section from Suir Road down to Guinness that runs along by St James Hospital was always known as the dry canal. Haven't heard that since the luas line was built on it though.

There's a halting site, where the old dock/ harbour used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Thats been knocked and the site levelled, apartments or offices or something going in now, passed it a few days ago, its 3-4 stories high

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ha, as I typed that i was thinking I haven't been down that way in a while, I wonder if it's even still there!

That whole area is ripe for redevelopmentin fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Yeah there's 600 apartments being built on the site of the old basin, where the halting site was.

I actually assumed that site was the big regen project being ran by Guinness but it seems that's different and will be across the street from it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭tinytobe

The whole story reminds me of the Cumberland Arm of the Regent's Canal in London, which was filled up and later on they built on it. There was also the Cumberland Basin. Few people in London know this part of history.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

The canal was to bring fresh spring water from Kildare into a reservoir, the 'basin' to serve the city people. Guinness developed using this supply of water and also was able to bring raw materials in on the barges and in return bring Guinness back to the midlands. The extension to the mouth of the Liffey brought Guinness barrels to the sea going vessels there for export. In later years, c 1871, Guinnesses bought land running down to the river at Victoria Quay from their James Street brewery and then developed a rail system to bring barrels to river boats. This was a better route to the mouth of the river and thence to the English market.

Advertisement