Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Degree Recognition Teaching Council

Options
  • 07-02-2022 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi there, I got a modern languages degree in the UK over 20 years ago. I tried to get it recognised by the Teaching Council back in the 2000s to no avail and have since been working in a different capacity. The main thing I think they said was missing was the literature component. My question is: is it possible to do some module components in effect to "top up" my degree in order for them to recognise it for teaching purposes? Also, is there someone/somewhere I can ask this as I emailed the Teaching council and received a generic "check our website" response? Thanks very much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Yes, it is. Look for the part-time BA in UCD/UCC/NUIG/NUIM/whatever. You will do the BA course, but your "exit qualification" will be the Higher Diploma in Arts. As you apparently do not need the entire 60 ECT credits of the Higher Diploma you will presumably not get that qualification either but rather sit the relevant modules on it to get the required outstanding credits.

You need to have clarity, in writing, from the TC on precisely how many credits you need, and what precisely those credits are. Perhaps they emailed you years ago with that information so check your email from that time?

Here's the UCD Higher Diploma in Arts page listing its available subjects. You may be able to do the required ones in this semester rather than wait for next September: https://www.ucd.ie/artshumanities/study/undergraduatecourses/

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭redoctober

Thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭redoctober

Hi Gaiscioch. Thanks again for your previous answer. Follow up question: if I were to apply under route 3 say for Further Ed and (eventually) get my degree recognised, could I then do the Postgrad Ed course on Hibernia? I notice the TC website doesn't list Hibernia as accredited for Further Ed but does for primary and post-primary. Would that make any difference as I wouldn't be able to study full-time? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

If you want a non-“check the website” response, ring them. I don’t know how many they have on the phones at the moment, but if they try to fob you off, you can tell them that you need more specific information, and what specifically you need.

I think a lot of us would rather do these things by email these days (I know I would) but sometimes you still need to pick up the phone and talk to a real person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Yeah, I'd just ring them directly. Hopefully, you'll have more luck than I'm having for the past month in my attempts to contact the (usually responsive) Department of Education's salary section.

• Advertisement
Advertisement