Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

letting people ahead in a que . where is your limit

Options
  • 06-02-2022 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭

i was in a supermarket today and the guy behind me had an arm of items. i had a bag of stuff so not a lot but he had a decent amount . i was going to let him passed but didnt . i felt he had too many items and me not enough

obviously if i had a trolly of stuff or he had a few items it would be different

where is the line for you on how many items they have v you having ratio for you to let them skip ahead.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I’d do it a bit in Aldi or Lidl, if I’m in there. Anyone with a basket or carrying “goods” can go ahead.

It’s a good way of delaying the checkout operator from starting to scan your “shop” before you’ve had a chance to finish unloading the trolley.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

Does it apply if you have home delivery?

i.e... would you tell the driver: if Mrs B down the road only has a dozen items from you, sure you can go ahead and take hers first. Come back with my big shop later. I've got all evening to put mine away so I have.

Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Baybay

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Bananas or something they have to weigh is another good way of delaying them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,111 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If an elderly person ok…

or a person with two or three items

otherwise just Q… wait your turn.

I don't have a definite line but I'll make it known when I've reached it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I usually shop in Dunnes or Tesco. The only people I'll let in front of me are people who have a small enough number of items that they should be using the self-service checkout, but obviously look like someone who couldn't use the self-service checkout if their life depended on it. An auld farmer in wellies with baler twine holding up his pants, with an arm full of Denny branded items. An old lady only buying a bottle of port and a single sachet of cat food. A stressed looking middle aged man with just a bunch of flowers at 9.30 at night. Those kinds of people.

Weirdos you mean. Why not just come out and say it? 😅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I tend not to if I'm honest.

I worked in supermarkets and it's always the person with one or two items that cause a queue.

They'll either try to pay with the smallest coin denominations they have, empty their change purse onto the counter for you to count or else start telling you their life story.

There were times I'd have a whole trolley scanned and the till beside me was still with the person with the "one" item.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

When I have just a few carefully balanced armful of items, it can sometimes be an embarrassment when people offer to let you go ahead - like you are expecting it. In Lidl and Aldi, I am usually the victim of an impulse buy in the middle aisle, that has me balancing a chainsaw with the loaf of bread and litre of milk, that I actually went in for.

I usually pick the easiest line to join anyway, so I genuinely don't expect to get the nod. There are times when I have thanked the person, saying that it's OK, only to be pushed ahead, Mrs Doyle like ... go on, go on, go on.

It't nice to be offered the chance, but its not something I would stand there and wait for.

Are there no "baskets only" or "ten items or less" checkouts any more? Or are they all gone self-service? (haven't been inside a supermarket since March 2020). Dunnes in Citywest definitely had two basket only checkouts last time I was there.

I would let someone with 2 or 3 items in ahead of me if I had a trolley full. But only the first person in the queue behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,541 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

When I went to Iceland, I didn't meet anyone I knew.

I bumped into a couple of geysers I knew there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Is this you pretending you live in a place with interesting off-kilter people?! Mostly I see bored unremarkable people, sometimes that person is me!

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

I dont mind letting those ahead of me get in line with a few odds and ends. If Im rushing then that is a different matter. Id let elderly go ahead of me

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

Use to pop into our local Lidl on a Friday night after 830/9pm when it was quiet to pick up a few cans or a bottle of wine and would always been one or 2 polish in doing a full trolley shop whod youd end up behind at the 1 and only open check out and theyd never have the courtesy to offer you to go ahead of them. Once or twice the person on the checkout would have the cop on to say to them theyd take my wine or cans 1st. If Ive a full trolley Id let someone behind go or if Ive a small basket of stuff and someone with one or 2 items behind let them go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Went into lidl a few months ago and having checked out realised I no cards on me.

A man offered to pay for me shopping.

I happened to have enough cash except for 1 item.

I left it behind only to meet the man in the car park and he had bought it for me.

Decent of him if it was Corn Flakes. Romantic if it was Prosecco. A bit freaky if it was tampons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Never let anyone jump the queue,and that's only since I left Ireland.

I cracked about 2 years ago in the local shop when someone tried to jump the queue.

Queuing for 40 minutes due to covid rules and this fecker trys to jump the queue to his mate further up the queue, needless to say I frightened half the shop with my broken polish.

Only exception I'd make now is for a person with special needs or a person with a person with special needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,900 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I would let someone with one or two items go ahead if I had many items

Lidl and Aldi could do with self checkout express counters

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They have them in some stores now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I had 1 item in a queue once in a supermarket, a couple had 2 trolleys of stuff in front of me and didn't ask if I wanted to skip them. They had over 500 euro worth of stuff in their trolleys.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

The worst are the idiots on the road who let in a prick who drives past the entire queue then throws on his indicator to be let in.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,111 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s actually an epidemic but bad discourteous and impatient driving is now in general…

I’ve been burned a couple of times at the airport… queuing for security screening and people busting past with a million apologies that they are about to miss their flight..

first time it happened I met the pair in the bar… second time they three were in front of me in the Q to board the same flight.. which before I had time to wander through the duty free and then neck 2 pints…before Qing for the on time flight.

my limit is I don’t accept it… my time is as valuable anybody else’s…if I had the foresight to arrive at x on time or early I’m gonna take the benefit of having done so…

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I never pay any attention to the people around me in the queue. I might notice the people in front and never notice the ones behind.

I suppose if I had a basket of items, I'd just use the self service so I don't really get into letting people through. If they were in a rush they would have used the self service. If they're happy to queue then they can queue like everyone. But nits not a conscious decision to not allow anyone past me. I'm just minding my own business, listening to a podcast so I just join the queue and take my turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Don’t ever leave an old Shirley go ahead. The couple of items will look innocent but the conversation and massacre of finding money in a hand bag which should be just banned at the door.

• Advertisement
Advertisement