Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving thermostat to another room without moving cables

Options
  • 05-02-2022 11:59pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So our house came with a mechanical thermostat in the landing and on the gas boiler, there's a mechanical timer switch. The thermostat being in the landing is kinda useless, who hangs out in a landing like. Is it possible to replace the thermostat with a receiver and have a wireless thermostat in the actual living room?

Ideally avoiding cloudbased solutions, although locally smart is kinda ok. All the ground floor walls are block, so chasing wires is not really straightforward. The rads in the living room, kitchen and bedrooms have TRVs on them. The hot water isn't zoned separately, but heating that is under control with solar.

Is this possible? Can it be DIY'd?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Your rads with TRVs already have thermostats. I don't see any benefits in having a 2nd thermostat in one of the rooms? My own setup has no thermostat for the heating itself. Every rad in the house has TRVs so every room in the house has its own thermostat

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

If you search "wireless thermostats" on the www you will find lots. But read the reviews.

I'd prefer something like Hive unless you don't have wifi.

As for DIY, it depends on your skills. You will need a basic understanding of electrical safety and isolation and the ability to read electrical diagrams. It's then a matter of replacing your timer (or thermostat) with the remote receiver that will come with the new wireless thermostat. It's always best not to have them too far apart.

Watch some youtube videos to see if you find the directions easy to follow.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

So that was the vibe I was running with, but apparently it'd be more efficient if my gas boiler turned itself off, rather than leaving it run when all the TRVs are at their happy temperature. I basically have it come on for short (30 min) sessions spread out across the evening, which mostly works, but you do find yourself getting up to add/remove time when the weather does a big change.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I never thought about a smart thermostat when answering Last night. I don't have a thermostat myself but I do have EPH Ember smart controls & danfoss smart TRVs. I don't have to get out of the chair to make changes 😁

Advertisement