Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refurb on an old outdoor aluminium Sliding Door

Options
  • 04-02-2022 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

We've an aluminium patio sliding door that's now about 40 odd years old. It's seen better days and I'd like to do a reasonable refurb on it. Plan was to get Ronseal Direct to Metal Paint as it lists aluminium and no need for primer.

The two issues I'm having are how to deal with the soft plastic inlays (I don't know what they are called) and the nasty brown caulk around edges of the sliding door.

Are there replacement pieces I could get to go in around the glass?

Is there something that I could use to remove the brown calk so I can put new white caulk around it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Deregos.

That's quite a difficult project your undertaking there Lostring. Would you post up some more photos of the doors just for clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lostring

I'll nab some more photos later and stick them up. So far I gave it once over with sand paper and a scraping knife to remove any raised dirt. Then I washed the whole thing with methylated spirits to remove any grease and then soap and water. I've got the door masked up now and ready for a prime coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Can i add a question...

OP if you google there are a few people knocking around who repair these but it may be as expensive as replacing...

I am in the process of replacing glass in large shop 40 year aluminium window... one person said no problem... another person said that there is a therm in the frame of newer windows and that the double glazing fail in time in the old frame...

Advise welcome...

Advertisement