Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC randomly freezing while idle, power but no screen or USB, have to turn off PSU to force shutdown

Options
  • 03-02-2022 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, hoping someone with a bit more knowledge can help me with this.

Bit of a headscratcher, per the title I'm having random freezes/lock-ups maybe once or twice a week while the PC is idle (screen off) since I built it about four months ago. The keyboard and mouse lose power (no LED lighting) and my monitor has no signal but the PC itself still seems to be running (GPU and mobo LEDs active) however I can't do a force reset from the power button (no reaction) and have to physically switch off the PSU at the rear of the tower.

As far as I can tell it only happens when the PC is idling, never had it happen while it's actually in use. AFAICS from Googling it's either a faulty motherboard or a PSU but I figured I'd ask here before I start RMAing.

Specs

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 5600x
    • Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro AC
    • RAM: Crucial Ballistix 3600mhz 2x8GB
    • GPU: AMD 6800XT Midnight Black Edition
    • Storage: WD Black SN750 2TB
    • PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W
    • Case: Phanteks P400A
    • Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 4 Pro

Thanks in advance for any advice, happy to provide more info if requested.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Does it start, restart and shutdown in normal use? Sounds like PC goes into hibernition and disables USB.

Disable "USB selective suspend" - test .

Put PC into "High performance" power mode - test

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There was a known USB disconnect bug with those chipsets:

A BIOS update should fix it, assuming your BIOS is still old enough to be impacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Yep, perfectly normal behaviour otherwise. Was already in High Performance power mode but I disabled that setting, will keep an eye on it, fingers crossed.

I think I'm on the second most recent BIOS version, just downloaded the latest one today but haven't installed it yet. Would the USB disconnect also cause the GPU to stop outputting and the power button not to respond?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Melted

I updates a BIOS on an older motherboard recently and there was just random freezing and lock ups. Took me a while to cop that I done an upgrade so I rolled back and its been mint since. Other than that id test with another PSU. good luck.

Doing a bit of research there was a known incompaitibility with newer windows versions and the latest BIOS update, the MOBO manufcturer and MS both washing their hands of the issue and passing the buck.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

A disconnected mouse and keyboard would stop any activity from waking the GPU, but it wouldn't explain the lack of response to the power button. Checking the BIOS version should rule this option out quickly enough though.

• Advertisement

Also worth checking if this is disabled. It had issues with sleep. I think it was Win 20H1 when they stopped pushing it by default(eventually). Feature from Win7 (HDD) did more harm than good

Downloaded and updated to the latest bios version, weirdly the latest version released last month was listed as F14 but the previous was F14c from back in September. Apparently the new one "addresses major vulnerabilities" so I guess it's good to have updated anyway.

Cheers, just checked now and it was listed as active. Have fastboot disabled in the bios by default but probably worth having disabled in Windows too.

Couple of small updates.

Notice my start-up, shutdown and restart times are significantly lengthened since the bios update, used to be pretty much immediate now it's like an extra 10 seconds, not the end of the world but a bit annoying.

Someone on reddit suggested disabling c-states, have done that as of like an hour ago.

I'd say its due to "fast startup" disabled in power options - PC no longer hibernated when you think its powered off, instead its powered down for real.

Advertisement