Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronic insomnia

Options
  • 03-02-2022 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hi, looking for some guidance please. My DD is a young adult who has suffered chronic insomnia for the past 3 years. We are literally at our wits end. The standard over the counter meds don't work. She unfortunately attended a well known 'expert' who advised her to go on sleeping pills on the basis that if she followed the correct sleep hygiene and used the meds for a couple of months that her sleep pattern would regularise. Against her better judgement she accepted this advice, followed all the instructions but sleep didn't improve. After a couple of months she was unable to sleep without the medication and her GP tried to wean her off it to no effect. She has tried the following

attended counselling for anxiety which was useful. The counsellor recommended CBD oil which worked initially but again after a couple of weeks she had to go back on meds because she was getting no sleep and she literally couldn't function

attended a sleep expert attached to a hospital who uses CBT which was delivered online due to the pandemic. Again, nothing positive. His opinion was that anxiety was at the root of everything and recommended counselling again

at this stage we got a recommendation for a psychiatrist in John of Gods, she went on a waiting list for several months only for his 'team' to say that she didn't have an addiction and should attend a psychiatrist for anxiety. Several months went by waiting for an appointment due to staffing. She finally met the assigned psychiatrist who diagnosed anxiety referred her to a psychologist. The psychiatrist said she needed anxiety meds while she was attending counselling and that eventually she would be weaned off those. The counselling went well and she worked through some issues. However, the sleep hasn't improved. She went back to JoG and this time had sleeping tablets prescribed in addition to the anxiety meds. At her last session (15 mins = 120 Euro) he admitted that he doesn't know what to do at this point and increased the dosage on everything. He then suggested that an in-patient programme 'might' help. She asked for a second opinion, was to meet another psychiatrist this week via Zoom. She logged off work, waiting for 30 mins to be told that a meeting had run over and they would re-schedule to next week. At this stage she has no confidence in this organisation.

I spoke with a colleague who works in the health service and she suggests that a dual approach is required, ie work on both anxiety and insomnia in a combined approach. She suggested St Pats and when I rang them they confirmed that their programme is in-patient only as well.

I'm concerned that she might undertake an in-patient programme and still not have the issue resolved. There is also the problem of time off work. She does project based work and is contracted to a client for the next several months. I don't know if taking this time off for a mental health issue is viable. I know she won't want to raise the issue with her employer and I'm desperately seeking some solution. I'm also not fully convinced by the in-patient option. St Pat's said they would take a referral from JoG but aren't willing to chat with her about what's involved. It all seems very impersonal. I then rang the HSE helpline and the staffer there suggested that maybe insomnia is something she will have to live with and said it is possible to have non-addictive meds for long-term insomnia. She also suggested an appointment with a neurologist for a physical checkup. While I appreciate all the suggestions I really don't know where to turn. I'm doing the research for her because she is so exhausted from trying to keep afloat. She gets very little sleep and is still working from home. So, she takes naps at lunchtime or in the afternoon.

I know this is a really long-winded message but I really don't know where to turn. She has done all the sleep hygiene things recommended, has a blackout blind, comfortable bed and pillows, room temperature is regulated, no blue light after a certain time, diarising, apps for sleep, background sounds etc. If anyone knows of a successful outcome for something similar I would really appreciate a steer. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

How many hours sleep per night would she get?

Can you mention what meds she was prescribed for sleep and anxiety?

Whoever said there's non addictive options out there was correct.

I'm not a Dr nor would I assume to give medical advice.

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭GoogleBot

My grandma mentions me, prolong fasting is one that recalibrates human senses and reset the hormonal balance to get rid of anxiety and insomnia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭apache

I have experience of the dual diagnosis programme in Pats. I wouldn't recommend it. And I couldn't believe the cost of it when I saw the bill.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,989 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Welcome to ‘health’ ‘care’ in Ireland…

im a former chronic insomniac…my sleeping improved to normal patters by…

leaving a stressful job

exercising daily ( a big help )

better diet…. My diet wasn’t bad but I cut out a lot of crappy foods, ate more salads…

I can’t emphasise enough both cutting out stress and exercise…

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭loveall

Exactly as Strumms says.

I walk every morning early, for at least an hour. I'd tried lots of ways to control my night time thoughts over the years but was never very successful. Now I retrace every step of my walk, the views I saw, and if I have a breakthrough thought, I go back to the start. For me it is the first thing to work in my entire life. Pills and alcohol are just not the way. Your minds ability to bypass the drugs opens up more trouble....unless you enjoy that type of thing.

A few days ago I mentioned it to my 75 year old father. He had a very stressful life between work and wife. Angry on alcohol. Turns out, in his pre-sleep, for the last 40 years, he's built a log cabin and recently switched up to access for a cave halfway up a cliff. All so simple, but I wish he'd told me years ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement