Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dental Cover on Medical Card

Options
  • 03-02-2022 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Does anyone know any Dentist(s) in Dublin-15 who accept Medical Card for treatment? I rang two of them I used in past (Pre Covid) are not giving treatment or cover on Medical Card instead ask for Private Treatment Fee saying "The Government is not providing PPE for medical card treatments and unfortunately it is not possible for us to cover the additional cost whilst ensuring the practice remains open to treat patients in the long term."

As per HSE : All medical card holders are entitled to specific dental treatments e.g., a dental examination, two fillings in each calendar year, extractions as necessary.

Also per PRSI Dental Benefits as working Employee, only A Free Exam and Teeth Cleaning can be done by paying €15 But PRSI doesn't cover other Teeth treatment.

If there is any Dentist in this group may explain how and where to get most from Medical Card for Teeth treatment. Thanks.

Comments

Wasting your time talking to the dentist. Contact the hse local offices and get them to assign you to a dentist on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

And just to add, waste of time talking to local HSE office about assigning anyone with a medical card to a dentist on the panel.

The on going dispute between HSE and Dentists continues, fewer and fewer doing any medical card work, those left on the panel are either withdrawing their participation or only looking after existing patients and are definitely NOT taking any new MC patients.

My own withdrew almost two years ago, I contacted local HSE office, basically told, could look with that, gave me info on a number of Dentists to contact (8) , not one doing any MC patients and bizzarely the Dental association whilst briefly mentioning the dispute, continues to list some Dentists on the scheme when they are clearly not, I've checked.

It's a thundering disgrace, I wondered if GP's stopped seeing MC patients how quickly would the HSE be to react.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Get a number of refusals and hse office will assign you to a participating list. That dentist may then drop his medical card list but dont let em off. You will be assigned to a gps list even if it is full by the hse office

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I honestly wasn't aware such a panel existed but will look into this 👍

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,101 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

That is not how it works.

The HSE can assign a patient to one of their own dentists, they cannot assign a patient to a private dentist who participates in the medical card scheme. There is absolutely no obligation on a private dentist to accept a new patient into their practice, medical card or not.

The panel is just a list of dentists who participate in the scheme.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dmcm_90

The HSE is unless when it comes to medical card and the dentist especially in an emergency you have to ring around and when you do get one that takes the card your appointment wont be for a long time. Im currently in a lot of pain with my gums and the earliest appointment I could get is mid August and the dentist is a half an hour bus ride. It's really unfair to those who can't afford a dentist and only have medical hard. I blame the HSE as their useless

Advertisement