Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help: Connect PC & Mac to one monitor, keyboard & mouse

Options
  • 02-02-2022 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭

I have both a Mac (personal) & W10 PC (work).

I have one of each:

• Wired Keyboard
    • Wired Mouse
    • Large Monitor

The monitor has the following connections:

• USB/C x 1
    • HDMI x 2
    • USB3 X 2
    • DV X 1

Currently I have a USB/C cable going from the monitor which I take in turns to connect to each laptop as I need to use them, this means I can use the one keyboard & mouse as they're plugged into the monitor.

I also need to connect a webcam that I can use through both laptops, but don't have a spare input on the monitor

Is there any way to have both devices connected, also the webcam, keyboard & mouse and use all together without switching cables?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭JoyPad

What monitor is it? Where you said DV, did you mean DP (display port)?

I have a Gigabyte M32U, and it does exactly what you want. But this is possible because the monitor supports the KVM switch feature.

1. Connect Mac to monitor via USB-C cable: this should allow the Mac to use the monitor as display, and the attached devices.
    2. Connect PC to monitor via HDMI (for video) and USB upstream cable: this will allow the PC to use monitor as display and connect the attached devices.
    3. Monitor has KVM Switch button which you press to switch from Mac to PC and vice versa.

(See manual here, page 10 has the connectors)

With this monitor, you can share 3 devices across the two laptops, as it has three USB 3.0 ports. The upstream is a separate cable that came with the monitor, looks like this. The USB-A end goes into the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

It’s an LG 32UN88A LG 32UN88A 32-inch Monitor-IPS 4K 3840x2160, HDR10, DCI-P3 Ergonomic Stannd, USB-C [Amazon Exclusive] https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B088LVN3TW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_B3ZBNPNF174KJ1EZN5KG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I don't think the monitor supports KVM Switch functionality. You can switch between multiple laptops connected on different inputs (e.g. HDMI/DP/USB-C), but the USB hub functionality will only work for the laptop connected to USB-C.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Balls. I suspect as much. Guess I’ll have to keep on switching the USBC cable so

If it's important for you to switch easily, you can buy a KVM switch or just a KM switch (no need for video).

For example, one like this might work. Each laptop connects to the box via USB downlink cable and HDMI cable, then HDMI from box to monitor, and plug up to 4 USB devices into the box. Then you press the SWITCH button to flip between the two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 weent19

What's up it's me, I am also visiting this website daily, this website is really pleasant and the viewers are really sharing good thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

This might be the very thing and hard to beat at about £20.

If you've to spend anyway though, take a look at Logitech wireless gear.

I've a K780 keyboard and MX Master mouse.

They can be paired with up to 3 devices which can be bluetooth or Logitech's own dongle connections.

I often work on other machines, so have a second dongle to plug in. The third connection is set to the old mac on bluetooth.

The keyboard has 3 white keys on it to switch connection and it's instant. The mouse has a toggle button on the bottom for the same thing.

I just switch my monitor between HDMI inputs and Display Port/VGA

Advertisement