Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance company lost my logbook

Options
  • 02-02-2022 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi,

my car was crashed into before Xmas and written off, I was going to claim through my own insurance and they would look for moneys off the person that crash into me after!

I sent my insurance company my log book so they would pay out for my car, but this insurance company has lost my log book and others too they said!

eventually the other insurance company paid out instead without the log book as it was dragging out for ages!

my own insurance has told me to go get another log book and they will pay me the cost (12 quid). This is a real pain as now I have to go to the guards and make time to post it again.

what do you think? Any advice ? Can the insurance not do this for me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They don't own the car till you sign it over via the VLC, so they can't apply for it.

So to get it off the system and them off your back you'll need to follow the process to get a new VLC issued. How is a real pain to drop into any Garda station to get a stamp on a piece of paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Ball is in your court I am afraid, process is for the registered owner to apply for replacement documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭newfy

Just a pain as I sent it to them already and they lost it, so I have to go about it again. That’s all…no worries il get it sorted! Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭cfingers

If the other insurance company has already paid out the claim, why would you bother?

They have offered to pay you the €12 cost for the new logbook but have they offered to pay you an admin fee for work you have to do. I would be looking for €50 or €100 admin fee to do the work.

Don’t I have to declare the car off the road? I can’t do this without a log book, otherwise I wouldn’t be arsed tbh!

I know, I should be entitled to some reimbursement for having to go guards and admin etc, nit picking I know but they screwed up…not me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭cfingers

I don't know about declaring the car off the road. I don't see why you would have to. I thought you would only do that if you to avoid having to make back payment of road tax if you tried to tax it in the future but that's not the case here.

Oh ok interesting, can anyway else confirm this?

If that’s the case I won’t bother with trying to get another log book and paying the 12 quid.

will 3rd part insurance want it for selling parts from salvage yard

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I wasn't aware you needed logbook/VRC to declare car off road 🤔 open to correction

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Miscreant

If your car was written off and the other party's insurance company has paid you out then you don't have to declare your car off the road.... It is now the property of the other party's insurance company surely?

In any case, it takes 5 minutes to pop to a Garda station (even after hours, they are usually open 24x7) and then send off the form to Shannon. I imagine the other party's insurance company will come looking for the registration cert anyway, seeing as they should technically now own your car after having it written off and paying you for it.

Advertisement