Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance policy not we thought we had been sold.

Options
  • 02-02-2022 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

In early January my wife rang our local insurance broker looking for a quote for our car insurance my wife being the main driver and our daughter (19 with full licence) and myself fully comprehensive, got a very competitive quote and checked again that it was fully comprehensive and the person said yes this a good price which we agreed paid over the phone all settled everyone happy. Today the same person rang saying there was a problem with our policy that our daughter was only covered for third party that the insurance company they insured us with were no longer giving comprehensive insurance to under 25s. I rang the broker and spoke to a different person and asked them how long was that the policy of the particular insurance company and I was told it was like that since October 2021. I then asked what would have happened if my daughter had crashed the car , I was told that the insurance wouldn't pay for our car. Is this true or would the brokerage have to pay as it was their mistake and obviously something has happened that they rang us today to inform us.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Did you put a policy in place in Jan?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What is written for who is covered and level of coverage on your certificate of insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

The certificate does not cover the level of cover provided by the policy, only the parameters of the 3rd party aspect. The policy schedule, in conjunction with the policy document, will outline the level of cover

With regard to the original question, if you can show that the broker originally confirmed your daughter was covered comprehensively, in the event of an accident they would have had an exposure for any damage to your vehicle. At this stage, I would be insisting they move your policy to another insurer who will cover your daughter comprehensively and they should cover any additional premium

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bcmr

The policy was put in place in January 5th, we only realized our daughter wasn't comprehensively insured when the broker rang February 2nd.

On the agreement form we signed for the broker it stated comprehensive, but yesterday when I checked the the other documentation it did outline that u25s were comprehensively covered. I know i should have checked this I will in future. My argument with the broker was that they had made the mistake when they sold me the policy and by ringing us to tell us so was an admission of guilt on their part.I have changed policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

You would be right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Every time I've gotten a policy from an insurance company they always say to review the policy documents fully to make sure there's no errors. You had an error that you didn't spot. The only option is to cancel the current policy and take out a new one that overs the cover you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bcmr

The broker is refunding me the full cost of the original policy plus the additional cost of our new policy.

Advertisement