Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freesat , replace hard drive

Options
  • 02-02-2022 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I have a Humax Foxsat freesat box.. one of the old ones. It's still working fine.

Once upon a time the HDD failed, and I just popped in a new one, reformatted using the menu on the STB, and bobs your uncle.

My Q,is.. if I get one of the newer 4K freesat stb's , is it as easy to swap out the HDD, or will it be a pain in the rear. Because of all the SW preloaded for the catch-up services (that won't work here anyway)

Hope I'm making sense.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭swoofer

You would need to give a bit more imformaion as a new box is A very expesnive, B comes with a 1tb hdd.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,993 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've not been able to find any info online on how easy the drive is to replace if it fails. I'm on my 3rd drive with my Foxsat, my next step for a future failure was to buy the new Arris box but from what I see online in reviews this might not be the best thing to do.

A good general thread here on them, seems the 2TB drive is louder than 1TB or 500GB.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/new-generation-freesat-stb-arris.2256339/page-54

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭mikeecho

My first drive failed after a few years . The replacement 1tb drive is going strong after I don't know how many years, probably more than 12yrs.

I'm just curious if the option to easily repair/upgrade has been removed.

Eventually the rock solid Foxsat will die

• Registered Users Posts: 81,993 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes a couple of times recently I've lost all my scheduled recordings after channel rescan and another time after issues with summer time causing them to be corrupted and move to next available recordings.

I just wish Freesat would have went with Humax again, even if new boxes were £50 more.

Advertisement