Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet cistern doesn't fill

Options
  • 02-02-2022 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hello

For the last 10 years ensuite toilet cistern was slow to fill, now doesn't fill at all. Main toilet is fine. Plumber changed fill valve in cistern, still doesn't fill. Both toilets getting water from water tank, which according to plumber is unusual and is the reason for low pressure in ensuite (4m from water tank). Main toilet is adjacent to water tank so pressure is ok. Plumber suggested to connect toilet either to main water supply (a bit messy job) or to the pump (requires new pump as current one has no output for toilet). Toilet water supply goes via 1cm pipe. My suggestion to clean that pipe was dismissed. My apartment is on the first floor of four floors building in Dublin 18.

Any views, suggestions?

Thanks

Tagged:

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kozak

Any ideas how to make cistern fill if water pressure is low?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Depends on the filler in the cistern. Usually they have a filter that you can remove or restrictors that can be changed to allow faster fill

Plumber ensured restrictors adjusted for fast fill. Still doesn't work. Plumber suggested to connect cistern to pump, but this solution requires new pump with proper connection. Sounds like overkill!

You must live in an apartment so?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Does water flow when system is opened up?

• Advertisement

Yes, live in first floor apartment of 5 storeys building in Dublin 18

water flow when system is open - no flow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭blackbox

I'd suspect that the supply pipe is either blocked or airlocked.

Most likely the cold water tank is in the appartment itself. If this is the case then it does not have the height to create good pressure & flow rate. Assuming this is the case then installing a booster pump is the only thing that will improve it

Edit: on reading the OP again I see that you have a pump. If this is just a shower pump then the plumber is correct that the pump will need replacing. If you have a bigger pump then he should be able to tap into the 3/4 inch cold pipe coming from the pump

Post edited by Sleeper12 on

How pipe can be checked or cleaned? It is thin, about 1cm diameter. I've asked plumber about pipe, he said it's unlikely

• Advertisement

Plumber suggested new pump options for my apartment - either Moonsoon 2 bar for 700 eur, or Grundfos 2 bar for 650. Both negative pumps. Which brand is more reliable?

Would prefer a bit higher pressure in the shower but not sure if it's a good idea. Current pump Grundfos 2 bar, 10 years old

ST Monsoon comes with a 5 years warranty. As far as I know the Grundfos only has 2 years warranty. Nothing wrong with going for 3 bar for the pressure you want. It will cost more for the bigger pump & you will use more hot water. Food for thought

Advertisement