Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop Disk Defrag on Windows 10

Options
  • 02-02-2022 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭

This has probably been asked for before, but teh search function on the site is a joke...

Anyway, how the hell do I turn off Disk Defragmenter for good? I never really need it and my disks are never that fragged to the point where it becomes a necessity.

I've tried all the usually alleys...

I've turned off scheduled tasks through the Windows interface. I've disabled it through the CMD window. I have deleted it with the CMD window and I have stopped it running in Task Manager.

But the bastard has more comebacks than Cher.

It is just a mild irritation, of course. But it's still an irritation. Is there any way that I can stop windows 10 from automatically running Disk Defragmenter for good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

You can do it through windows OS local group policy 'gpedit.msc', depend on your windows version you may have to turn it on. search for that on microsoft technet should throw up what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Why, though?

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't think i've ever noticed it. are the disks SSDs?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

NM

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

where do you see it anyway? task manager?

have you tried renaming the exe?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

You mean rename the defrag.exe in the sys32 folder? Not sure I really want to do that.

In any case. I let defrag run to completion yesterday. Someone mentioned that once Windows starts a scheduled defrag it'll continue to want to finish it and will do if it gets a chance.

But as I have deleted it in the CMD using the below command, I was told that it won't try to run again.

schtasks /Delete /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Defrag\ScheduledDefrag"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Are you sure you have it deleted? Was it confirmed?

Task running once deleted sound odd. Check in Task scheduler . If it still there perhaps it either was not deleted or somehow re-created.

Advertisement