Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is boiler stove worth it?

Options
  • 01-02-2022 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi im going doing up sitting room in few months new floor and painting, we have a 5kw stove there already but its tired looking and going upgrading it.

Is it worth getting a boiler stove? was looking at a few of them 18kw around 1500e, would that be enough to heat 5 double rads, 2 single rads and heat water?

I know there will be extra pipes to put in, new cylinder and few other bits, would ye know roughy how much materials and plumber would be? or has anyone done similar? House is 4 bed semi detached 2 story.

We currently use a load of turf (which we get for free) and about 400e oil a year, only need the heat autumn/winter. With a ban on turf coming we will be buying timber and coal, jsut wondering how much fuel large stove like that would use?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

We just had this done, a Stratford eco 20 boiler stove connected to the heating system. There is more than just a extra pipes, you need pumps etc to push the hot water around your system. There are three systems I liked at....System Link Heat Genie, Heat Hero and NRG. In the end we went with the Heat Hero. Plumbing cost approx 1500 but there was electrical required for the thermostat, pumps and motorised valves to work together. The electrical was done via systemlink junction box that has built in relays so the gas boiler switches off when the boiler stove takes over. We had it all done in time for the winter and have it up and running for a while now. To be honest we are a little disappointed with it. Not sure the heat hero was the right choice now, it doesn't heat the water as warm as we expected and the rads are only really hot when the stove is blazing, when the fire dies down to a coal fire the rads dont really heat the rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

There’s a 4th option too. The no nonsense time tested gravity curcuit. But that isn’t sexy enough for people these days. People expect miracles from solid fuel. In reality you need a constant big fire to keep the heat in the radiators. Unless you have access to cheap or free firewood then it’ll cost you more to heat the house this way

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If you are getting away with that amount of oil I would be reluctant to opt for a boiler stove. Turf will get harder and harder to get. To plumb I'm you stove could cost another 1500+ euro. The amount of solid fuel you will need will double or treble

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MossMan92

Sorry haven't been on this in awhile..thanks for replies

Ya was thinking that, about the way things are going now with turf probably a few years ago it would have been a good investment, might leave it now and just stick with non boiler stove

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Rustyman101

Wouldn't go with the stove option for the rads, gas is better at heating all-over house in my opinion, need a big fire to heat whole house , then room with the stove is too hot, looking at different options myself at this stage, also solid fuel will be taxed in oblivion in near future. Get a stand alone stove

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 jambo9421

We had a open system fitted a few year ago Henley boiler stove and gas boiler.we used to burn coal on the boiler and got great heat.there was alot of work involved fitting this system there was part of a ceiling taken down to run the new pipe work from the stove to the tank..our system never seemed to work great and it cost a fortune buying gas and coal every week.i got the stove disconnected and now have a sealed system but that's giving me loads of problems now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

So you have just a sealed gas fired boiler system now.? What kind of problems are you getting?.

I've previous threads up about the issuses but basically it's not holding pressure but I've a leak from a cold water return tap(new part ordered) under the boiler it's dripping around 500ml water over 2 days.the system has been working great the last few weeks but last 2 days it's playing up.not all rads heating and the boiler not burner on full bars when running on the digital guage

• Registered Users Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

i assume it’s your RGI that has the new part ordered. Seems like a straightforward fix tbh

• Advertisement
Advertisement