Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending part to GB for repair - customs

Options
  • 01-02-2022 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

I have a part I need to send to the England for repair. Getting it repaired here isn't an option unfortunately. I am wondering whats the situation with customs, I don't want to end up getting charged customs on the full value of the part when sending and when it returns. Is there a courier company that could look after it including all the correct paperwork?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

There is an option to tick "Returns" while purchasing labels from An Post. This covers lots of stuff including repairs, recalibration, etc.

If you were to send something to a Company in the UK without a similar explanation (either with a Courier or An Post) that Company will be charged Vat, etc...try asking the crowd doing the repair if they have taken in any work from here in the last 8 months or so.

I'd imagine any of the larger couriers are well used to it this at this stage, and should be able to deal with it.

Just make sure that the UK Company will mark the label as repair (or whatever) when they are sending the part back to yourself.

edit: there will probably be duty/VAT on the repair cost, but that's just down to the Brexit unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Thanks for that, I have no problem paying VAT and customs on the repair cost, I'm just afraid of getting caught for VAT on the part itself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭rock22

What you need is what the revenue call 'outward processing'

See this guide here

or the process here

Not sure how the repairer accepts the goods without paying UK VAT. You will need to clarify that with them.

And they will also need to comply with Irish ( EU) codes when reimporting

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I need to get a couple of repairs done on a classic car in the UK - the drivers seat needs a retrim and there's wear in the steering rack. A company does exchange racks.

It's easier to get a ferry over and back to get these jobs done physically over there as the freight cost is cruel never mind the potential customs issues.

Looking at a trip over in May......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

I believe that 'outward processing' is more aimed at Firms/Individuals who regularly send stuff outside the EU for repairs, etc. The OP is sending one part for a one-off repair. Once he marks the parcel as Return/Repair/Calibration (whichever is relevant) the UK Repairer is not liable for VAT.

For the return journey the UK Repairer marks it as Repair and states the cost of repair. The OP is then only liable for VAT (and possibly duty depending on the Repair Cost) on the cost of the repair.

The UK Repairer should not charge UK VAT, but that's not always the case.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 abmoto

Does the part have a parts number that you can reference in the form? If not, how does custom know if you sent out an old part and got back a new part as against a repaired one?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

I've sent a watch for service to UK.

Revenue/customs/anpost send me quote stating value of the watch at 250 euros.

I e-mailed eComm Charge Query <eCommChargeQuery@anpost.ie> stating it is my own watch just sent to repair etc.

after couple of days they come back with:

Thank you for your email query and please accept my apologies in our delay to respond.

Can you please provide us with an invoice from the repair service you used? We need to present this document to Irish Revenue for evaluation.

Please not that any item sent for repair will incur customs charges if the repair was not under warranty.

Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

Waiting for invoice from repair shop now and wonder if customs will just add repair cost on top of their 250 euros ?

or

they will charge vat/fees only on repair value ? which was around 150 euros ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭rock22

https://www.boards.ie/profile/mgbgt1978 wrote "I believe that 'outward processing' is more aimed at Firms/Individuals who regularly send stuff outside the EU for repairs, etc. The OP is sending one part for a one-off repair."

Are you sure?

The revenue website directs to this this process for any item sent out of EU for repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Christ, I was half thinking of sending a rear shock over to MCT to be refurbed (no one here will do it). Did it before and it was grand and easy but not looking like it's so easy anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭goblin59

There's a few places in Northern Ireland who do shocks, you'd be better off just driving up there with it though than having it shipped via anpost.

@rustynutz I'm heading up north on Monday to get some parts for the airhead, if you want I can bring your part with me and ship it from Royal mail.

I'm in Dublin at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

you are correct. It is ANYTHING sent out, doesn't matter who/value etc: all liable to customs now.

I've been waiting for ages for a guy in UK to rebuild an engine for me, and now he's just saying no non-UK business, period. Too much hassle, too much paperwork. He has a waiting list of 6+ months as-is.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Thanks for the kind offer dude, after reading through this thread I think posting it from the North is the route I'm going to go, I'm heading up there over the next couple of weeks so will do it then, thanks again through

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Can you not find a company in the EU to do the repairs? Just because Ireland hasn't got a lot of motorbike suppliers doesn't meant that countries like France or Spain don't, they have lots more bikes than we do.

No worries!

Yeah up posting from the north to england is the easiest solution.

That would be the ideal solution, unfortunately it's a complicated repair and the language barrier would be an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Not really. NI is still in the EU single market so they should have the same issues as us. This is why the DUP are throwing their toys out of the pram over the customs checks between NI and Britain, all while NI is doing better than the rest of the UK by still being in the EU internal market.

Where did you hear that there is the same issues in NI as down south for customs between England and NI?

Ni is both in the EU single market due to the NI agreements, and still part of the UK, this was a huge part of the agreement and Northern Ireland protocols.

So posting Northern Ireland to England and England to Northern Ireland doesn't have any of the issues as Republic of Ireland to England and vice versa.

The DUP throw their toys out over everything, so theres nothing new there.

I've ordered about 4k worth of airhead parts in the last few months with zero customs issues from England to NI, it takes about 2 days to get anything from England to where I am in NI, while it can take close to 10 days to get anything from England to Dublin.

Advertisement