Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phrases Or Sayings You Would Change or Amend, to Give Them a More Correct/Opposite/Whatever Meaning.

Options
  • 01-02-2022 4:09pm

Just like the title says. Are there any sayings that you feel are wrong, or don't go far enough, and they would be better served with a 'toon up' , or a complete overhaul..?

Maybe you can think of funnier or more humorous ways of conveying some well known - or lesser known even - proverbs , sayings , maxims , idioms , adages , axioms, or even synonyms.. 😁

I'll start with a few..

#1. "If you're planning on revenge, best to dig two graves."

modified version: "If you're planning on revenge, plan better, and let the other kernt dig their own grave."

#2. "An eye for an eye makes the whole world go blind."

no it effin doesn't..

modified version: "An eye for an eye only serves to leave two people visually impaired."

How the whole world gets a mention is beyond me..

#3. From The Bard: "He jests at scars who never felt a wound"

Possibly true, but a more likely reason is...

modified version: "He jeers at scars who feels similar wounds."

I see this kind of thing in threads when someone is ridiculing someone else's (mentioned or inferred, could be either) shortcomings, and I think to myself: "they're afflicted by similar, and merely want more 'info' , so as they can 'feel better' about themselves."

#4. From Oscar: "The only thing worse than being talked about is 'not' being talked about."

Disagree with this one, but am unable to come up with a succinct variation.. 😊

Anyone got any others they'd like to add ?? 😋

Have At It Folks! 😃

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭moonage

"People who live in glass houses shouldn't."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

"I could care less"

I would charge it to

"I couldn't care less"

or

"I could care more"

Advertisement