Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it fair to say a 36w LED lamp will use circa 10% of the energy of a 400w lamp?

Options
  • 01-02-2022 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭

We are looking at changing the bulbs in street lamps in a communal area, one 400w bulb went and the only thing the electrician had was a 36w led.

the 36w led gives a nicer warm light (the originals are a very harsh cold blue light) and i asked for the cost to change all so they match.

But is it fair to factor into this cost a likely large saving in energy costs (plus a longer life time for the LED)? is 90% accurate or does it not work quite like that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,279 ✭✭✭✭ted1

That’s exactly how it works.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Another option would be to change it to a cool white. All depends of the cost of callout vs. bulbs vs electricity.

Fun fact : incandescent bulbs used to consume 14% of all electricity which means moving to LED has freed up more power than Nuclear at 10% generates.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I don't believe that LED lamps have as long a service life as claimed. I have replaced many LED's because they either failed or dimmed considerably and were no longer providing enough light.

I think they are driven way too hard in order to make enough light and consequently their lifespan is shortened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I've heard of early adopters of LEDs back in the late 00s who forked out huge amounts but who are still happily using them. They seem to use cheaper components now that may not last as long. Programmed to fail probably!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

even if they last the same length of time the cost of replacement will nearly be covered in one years running.

• Advertisement

I am one of those early adopters, the early LEDs were not that bright, COB changed a lot but also the fail rate went way up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

LED's are fine. It's badly designed domestic fittings where poor ventilation means heat killing the electronics. Cheapest dumbest ones that use a capacitor to limit current are best.

OP - decent bulbs will list lumens (lm) so you can see how much light is coming out as well as watts that shows how much electricity is going in.

I guess it makes sense from an energy pov but not an environmental one.

I still think sodium is the best for longevity.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,279 ✭✭✭✭ted1

are you talking about light pollution ?

or what environmental issue ?

Throwing away light bulbs and electronic components.

• Advertisement
Advertisement