Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Classic insurance - huge increase in premium

Options
  • 31-01-2022 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭

Partner has a classic policy with AXA for many years. 4 cars on policy, comprehensive cover, no claims apart from a couple of breakdown rescues.

Policy last year was just under 440 euro.

Renewal notice last week is looking for 600 euro - one heck of a jump!

Anyone else seen increases like this?

We will be shopping around, that's for sure!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Surprised at that. I'm with FBD and renewed early Jan, about a fiver less than last year.

Managed to save about 40 odd on my daily (early Dec), but I did change company to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭kuro2k

I am renewing my 1 car classic policy with AXA this month, same price as last year at 265 EUR

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

When I saw the title I was thinking thousands, I left axa because they increased my classic policy by €950. They wanted €1380 for the year for 2 classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭gipi

Thanks for the replies.

Two updates for ye -

The AXA renewal notice included the wrong premium for last year - it wasn't 440, it was 490. So, while there was still an increase, it wasn't as eye-watering as we first thought.

Contacted FBD, got cover for 5 classics, comprehensive inc breakdown cover, for 470 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Would you try Autoline I have 2 classic cars insured for 440 fully comp on both. They are insured with Allianz.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I think himself has already done the deal with FBD, but worth keeping in mind for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭noelf

Renewed this year for €201 with Carole Nash with a agreed valuation of €15000 . First Ireland was quoting €335 for my renewal .

Post edited by noelf on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭w124man

Does your cover include European cover and towing a trailer?

I haven't seen the documents sent out by FBD yet, so I can't answer at this time.

Is it fbd who only allow driving to and from car shows? Not much use during a pandemic.

Check your policy allows commuting same as any regular motor policy.

• Advertisement

Incorrect, FBD allow you to drive anywhere and with a basically unlimited mileage (10k miles, not km)

@w124man my docs are in work so will check on Monday if you don't get an answer by then. 99% sure UK is covered.

Not exactly what their website states, I knew I read it somewhere that cover only applies to show use.

Whether they cover regular use as an add on I don’t know, the policy documents don’t mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ahherelads2022

Axa bumped me up too. They did it the last 5 years and I made the call to them to complain, then they dropped it back down €50 quid. This year they bumped it up €150 and after the call it was still €100 to high at €600. Entered the same details with allianze and got it for €330. Bye bye axa

@w124man , the policy does include European and UK insurance cover, and comprehensive insurance allows for towing of a trailer.

My AXA policy covers the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ccmp

fbd breakdown cover is only for Ireland and it entitles you to 1 hour labour and recovery not greater than 50 km. Insurance cover is Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

does anyone know if changing the classic you have named as your main classic changes the premium ? I have a few cars but started my classic policy with a 2 door convertible ( which I initially got my quote for and did exactly 0 kms last year). Some of my other stuff is a little more sedate but actually gets used more, should I use one of them as the main car for the classic policy, would that make a difference ?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭_ptashek_

They all know there's feck-all in terms of choice for classic insurance in this country, and they're milking us for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Not sure that’s accurate - Chubb, First Ireland, Autoline, Carole Nash, Axa & FBD all offer classic policies. If anything, it’s easier to get a classic policy than a daily driver one in some cases.

Anyway, FWIW my old First Ireland policy exclusively covered journeys to car shows, no commuting - might have changed.

And despite being offered as an agreed value policy, Autolines cover is market value - you’ll need an independent valuation report submitted to them if you want agreed value.

Who sells the policy, and who the underwriter is and therefore dictates the price makes the difference. It's not as much choice as it looks.

• Advertisement

An average classic policy here is €300. It’s cheap by any standards. No one is being milked.

Some people just like to moan about everything.

Now try getting that same policy with a claim free, full EU driving license you've had for 30 years. Guaranteed 300% increase "because reasons".

I don't need an Irish license, as mine never expires. I need to be not discriminated against because I'm a "bloody foreigner". Same deal with insurance on my daily. You'd think that after 20 years driving here it may stop eventually, but nope.

It's not moaning. It's a fact.

My documents seem to say I'm covered for SD&P on the cert, and says the same on the schedule, plus says this is deemed show and display, not sure what that means. When I got the insurance I did it in person and told the guy, 3 times, that I will want to drive i into work (into, not for) the odd time and go for a spin whenever I want - no problem he said.

Ugh, the discrimination card. Someone born in Ireland, with a non-Irish licence would have the same issue, so its nothing to do with where you were born.

Renewing an Irish licence once every ten years is hardly an inconvenience - just sounds like someone wants to avoid accruing any penalty points on their licence. I'm all for higher premiums or non-quotation for people who drive here permanently and refuse to transfer their licence over.

Technically, it appears you've only covered to drive to and from shows etc - my old policy was the same as this. I don't know of anyone who has ever had to claim on their classic policy though - so who knows how much grief you'd be given in that event.

Half the people I've dealt with recently have no idea of the details of the policies they're helping you with - had a guy from Autoline swearing blind that their policy was agreed value - eventually he agreed with me when presented with the insurance cert that clearly stated market value.

I've been with AXA since I started with classics and with a maximum of 4 cars I have never paid more than €450 for the lot. I have swapped cars around a good few times with only an admin fee if you do it too often. I got a 19 year old SL320 insured on the policy as well. They will insure anything I ask as long as it has an NCT. Full Euro cover, breakdown cover, trailer, windscreen etc and they will even give you 'laid up F&T' for projects. Also, I have never spoken to them on the phone either, I always call in to their office.

But to use your own point re what the cert says, my cert says SD&P with no further qualifications.

I just recalled I did query the mention of show and display in the schedule, this is what I for back from them:

The government of Ireland guarantees equal rights to citizens of EU member states, as it does for its own citizens, which includes recognition of things like driving licences on equal terms. The insurance industry disagrees.

"someone wants to avoid accruing any penalty points on their licence"

EU license holders get penalty points just as anyone else would. They accrue and expire the same way. RSA notice, fine, and all that jazz. So, in a word: nope.

It's the same with my AXA policy. Basically there is nothing in the policy that would prevent use as a full-time daily even, albeit they won't issue a classic policy unless there's a different car declared as primary in the policy holders name so that's the limiting factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

I think you are misinterpreting the show and display cover, my understanding is this is extra cover that they give you when your car is at a show and you might not get on a standard policy.

Advertisement