Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wheel Bearing

Options
  • 31-01-2022 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭

Good Morning,

The wheel bearing on my car has started to 'humm' so will need to be replaced.

Is it safe to drive (Car does approx 500kms per week).

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

Yeah, it should be safe enough, but get it changed asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

If the bearing completely fails, the wheel could separate from the stub axel. This would be rare but no one can tell.you when it will happen over the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Whocare

I be definitely jacking up and see if there play in wheel bearing And if there is it be very risky if there isn't might be OK for bit till you get it fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

Update - Indeed it was wheel bearing - replaced so all good!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,696 ✭✭✭✭josip

Wheel bearing type hum just started yesterday in our car and we've a big trip coming up next Monday-Tuesday.

I'm trying to find someone who would replace it before Saturday, but it's short notice and time is running out.

What's the furthest anyone has driven after it starts to hum before getting it replaced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭User1998

I’ve driven on a humming wheel bearing for about a year but each case is different.

I wouldn’t worry if you can’t get it sorted before your trip.

Advertisement