Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulation Question

Options
  • 30-01-2022 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭

Is that aluminium or bubble foil 3mm stuff be any good for used on a partition wall.?

Can it be used on an existed front wall and then plaster board on top

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Insulated plasterboard (IWI) is probably best for that application - they have an integrated vapour barrier and come in a variety of insulation depths. Others would prefer external wall insulation (EWI) - but it all depends on the requirement at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭kincaid

i heard you can use the bubble foil if you use battens so you leave an air space

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It doesn't matter what's it's made of, 3mm of insulation is useless.

The only way it might make any difference is as an air barrier, but there are specific products for that.

If your sole purpose is to reflect radiated energy in an air-gap, then yes, this will reflect radiated (IR) energy.

It comes across as being effective as it will reflect body-heat if you put it to your face, but it has limited function in a structural environment as the vast majority of thermal energy is convected and therefore will not be repelled by these products.

Layer out with wool/PIR instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭kincaid

I see alot using this aluminium bubble foil rolls in camper vans

Yes, you do. It looks space-age (ie 1960's) so looks great on camera, but it's misguided at best.

In Ireland you predominately need insulation to keep the heat in while in Texas for example - you want to keep the heat out. You do this by reflecting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The first response in this thread was entirely accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,053 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I would now always keep the insulation and the boarding separate, much easier to get better air tightness as you can tape the joints before boarding, but even then I would probably use a dedicated barrier anyway.

Advertisement