Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Brady to Retire after 22 Years in the NFL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭cosatron

The goat.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

Had a reasonably successful career I suppose

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Would have been perfect if he walked after last year, but that's some career all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Led a dynasty

Married a supermodel

Led another dynasty

Left a system built around him

Won a Superbowl in his 40s.

Still don't like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Just saw a report on the Athletic that this isn’t confirmed and Brady is still thinking it over.

Bradys father also apparently saying it’s not true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Schefter is shítting himself right now.

Lol, yeah looking like he may have jumped the gun but we will see

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

well I think Brady will retire this off season and his company twitter account tweeted out his stats and said thank you, and his dad didn’t say it was untrue.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

translation, I want to control the time and place and how his retirement is announced. Again it’s the manner in which it’s been announced is the issue I think, and not that it’s inaccurate.

• Advertisement

Maybe he will retire but his dad told a reporter that no decision was made, unless said reporter is lying, IDK

https://twitter.com/pff/status/1487539326196060161?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 15,027 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I remember the quarterback controversy that erupted in New England when Brday started winning games and Bledsoe recuperated from his injury.

It died down when Brday got them to the playoffs but erupted again when he got injured and Bledsoe played no small part in winning the AFC championship game.

And that year there was only a week to the Superbowl.

Brady was on no one's radar screen when he came in for Bledsoe v the Jets in 2001.

Look at us now, talking about him. He's one of the most recognizable names in all of sports, anywhere.

It's amazing.

Brday played a few snaps in the Thanksgiving game v Detroit in 2000 in a blowout loss.

I remember watching that game but I don't remember Brady.

Pick any backup rookie QB from the 2021 season that had a few snaps garbage time in a game, then come back in 2044 when he retires as the greatest of all time.

That's what happened with Brday.

It's amazing.

Edit : Sam Ehlinger - Picked 218 in 2021, played a few downs for Indy this season.

That's who Tom Brady was 21 years ago.

Post edited by Fr Tod Umptious on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,807 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Yeah I'd say the retirement is happening especially since Edelman paid tribute, I'm sure he'd of heard it from the man himself

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭jimmythesulk

He has a few years left in him yet, just not as a starter for every match.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Surprising if true considering the level he played at this off-season, but it would be very hard to retain all the players on the Buccs and not sure if he would want to start again at another franchise. Tbh I half expected him to chase the most TDs between a QB-receiver duo but he's realistically 2 more seasons off with that unless himself and Gronk go mad next season.

Not really much to be said about him either that hasn't been said. Across the major world sports (if you can count American football which I would) he's probably the only undisputed GOAT. I'd go as far as to call him one of the world's greatest athletes considering his accomplishments relative to any other NFL player - and it was all done in the salary cap era to boot.

A legend of sports, not just American football.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

He gets a $20m bonus paid on Feb 4th.

I'd be surprised if we hear any solid info from the man before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,446 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I won't believe it until it comes from the horses mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Well now it's official.

No mention of the Pats in his statement.

Fuck you Tom, I never liked you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭cosatron

surely he will sign a 1 day contract with the pats and make an appearance prior to kick off next year.

• Advertisement

Will always have an asterisk beside those Super Bowls after deflategate.

So long Tom and enjoy retirement. No one will ever fill out a protective cup quite like you did

But only by the sad and/or delusional individuals who can't accept his success lol

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭myate

He should sign a 1 day contract to finish his career with his childhood team, his next door neighbours as a kid...that would really pee off Boston & the Pats!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Lol, yeah the 'deflated' balls where they struggled with said balls and then destroyed the Colts when they got pumped up. Has to be massive question marks over that. Clearly they didn't want to win by as much as they could.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

It's amazing t think back on what he has achieved as a player, the level of consistency (and top tier play) is mind boggling really.

As other have mentioned, it looked as though he could have played at a high level for another year or two, and he looked revitalised in Tampa Bay.

I wonder if we will see more QB's play to 40 and beyond at a high level, now that the type of hits they take during the game, and the type of hits that can completely derail a career have largely been legislated out of the game. Will I have to look at Patrick Mahomes until he is 46? I hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Genuinely gutted by this. I'm not one for "Heroes", but Brady embodied some of the best qualities you could ask for in a role model. Bummed that he didn't get to go out in the SB, injuries really fecked that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Tom Brady did so much so good. He didn't have any special skills, he just got close to the best out of everything he did have. He read the field pre-snap better than anybody, his check down was extremely fast, his pocket awareness and movement in the pocket was better than anybody else. His decision making was key, he threw the ball away more than most, when the sack was coming he started to go down and protect himself before it got there. He had great accuracy on short and intermediate passes. He got better with the deep ball as he got older amazingly.

He was a smart football player.

He looked after himself better than anybody too. He had days where he drank his weight in water, something not advisable for a normal person to do but he had nutritionists etc. around him to ensure he didn't do damage to himself. He got up at 4.30 am to do over two hours of stretching. He found every way he could to keep his body young for as long as possible.

Obviously I'm a huge fan of the man but the above is just an honest assessment from all the things I know and have witnessed through his whole career.

I think the biggest impediment to a QB have an extended career is the degradation of their throwing shoulder. I really don't know how Brady still has a strong arm.. Freak of nature.

• Advertisement
Advertisement