Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How stop the cat in my garden

Options
  • 28-01-2022 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi everyone

Thank you for your helps.

I have having a issues with neighbours cat coming to poop in my garden. I plant some daffodil and twolips and some strawberries plants to get the harvest in autumn.

I see the cat pop in the soil when I water the flowers and check the plants.

I saw my neighbour cat coming in and I see it with my own eyes pooing, spraying, and scratching the soil and scraping the branch of my small apples trees.

Its not acceptable to me.

Thankfully no fruit on the tree but when summer come and is fruit then spray and poo is toxic and the washing won’t help it.

My daughter 6 years old likes do the garden and I’m afraid the poo will poison her. Neighbour won’t listen she don’t care. Cat is free and independent.

I already try ultrasound, bottle of water spray gun, citric skins, lavender and pepper and nothing works. I also try vick for nose and doesn’t work.

Sprinkler not going to be option. The house tap is at back of garden so I will get soaked when I use my owned garden. So I can’t even turn it on or off at my own pleasure.

Please help me with suggestions. I hope this is the write category to post in.

Thank you all. Good bless you.

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

Exact same position myself, only its three cats from the estate. No idea who owns them....

Getting really tired cleaning up other peoples cat shite from my flower bed.

Have the ultra sound sensor too, and this works for a bit, but they keep coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

I've used Get Off granules. They seem to be working, so far. They'll obviously need to spread again, so it's not the cheapest solution.

My dad swears by used tea bags with olbas oil on them but I haven't tried that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,638 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Does leaving bottles full of water actually work? And, if so, does it only stop dogs?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Have you written a strongly worded letter to the cat?

That or ring Joe Duffy and hope the cat is listening to the radio and gets the message.

It's the outside world, It's what makes us different from the animals, Leave them alone to live in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Green Finers

I have try this stuffs to. Not working. Thanks all for replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

Get yourself a cheap pump action water gun. Google it. Inexpensive and available at loads of places.

It will completely soak the little bleeder.

I guarantee that when the fecker has encountered that a few times, it will avoid your garden like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Cats hate the smell of citrus. If I bring any kind of citrus fruit close to mine they run a mile.

Maybe try some orange peels in the garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The OP's neighbours choice of pet should have no impact on what the OP does with their back garden, it's their own private space to do as they please. Their neighbour should restrict the movement of their pet to their own property or else move to the countryside where it won't bother anyone else.

Master of the Universe

I 100% agree with you re people's pets not having an impact on what the OP does (hence me having indoor cats). What I don't agree with is purposefully leaving spikey things out in the knowledge that it's going to hurt an animal. There are better, non painful / lethal ways of dealing with other people's pets.

Read the top message. I try already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

Read my messsge. Already try it.

Nothing working. My daughter will be sad if the fruit get ruined.

Master of the Universe

Have you tried talking to the neighbour?

What is the method?

Stuff I haven’t tried already

What is the law in this country if neighbor cat or dog damage the property?

You don't want a plain water pistol.

You need a double (jet) high velocity, pump action water gun.

This things are very powerful and you can be up to 10 metres or more away.

I know because my ex-wife had problems with a big tom coming into the garden and terrifying her 3 female cats. I ordered her this pump action water gun online, and after the tom had a few real soakings its not been back since.

Cats hate water, and it's the best and most humane way of dealing with your problem.

This one similar one I use already. No good

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

It's the law of the land. You'll to fix it yourself. Unless it was a dog and they injured a child.

But if you 'fix' it by mistreating the cat, even on your own property, then you'll feel the full force of the law :|

So pellet guns, salt guns, nail guns, black widows, deadfall traps and laser pointers are not options I'm afraid; even though technically the cat is a pest for your crops.

Are you certain it's a domestic cat and not a tiger?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,914 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

OP please dont start multiple threads for the same thing in different fora.

You've asked this question in the Pet forum and the Gardening forum too and honestly either of them are a better fit than After Hours.

Thread closed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement