Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions on care for elderly dog

Options
  • 28-01-2022 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for any advise/ tips for caring for an elderly dog.. long haired jack russell, approx 13 years old.

His behavior has really changed over the last 2/3 months, he has pee'd on the couch, something he never did, as he has his own bed in the sitting room and is not allowed on the couch, he soils his own bed. (- I am learning patience like I never thought I had.. the professional couch cleaners are making a fortune from me!)

He licks the floor constantly, uproots the bin, and now stands and stares at us, even though he doesnt need anything, no noise or whimpering, just stares.. he doesnt always come when he is called, we thought it was deafness, but vet said its not..

He also seems to have discomfort in his lower back/ hips as he does a lot of what I call Yoga stretching, and restlessness.

We took him to the vet and was told it was just old age, and that he has boundless energy for an old dog, still playful at times and other times, happy to be left alone.

I have ordered canine gold to help with his joints, and I take it more slowly on the daily walks, I guess, I am just looking for any tips to maybe help him through old age.

Any advise welcome, he has been our first dog and we have him 13 years, so want to make him as comfortable / happy as possible.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I think I'd get a second vet opinion. Generally, peeing inside and discomfort is an old age problem but there are still options that vets can utilise, such as medications or physio referrals. Even the staring may be something your vet can help with.

For general management, have a look at Canine Arthritis Management. It's got fantastic resources and whilst your dog may or may not have arthritis, it does also have preventative measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I'd definitely be looking for a second opinion, by your description he seems to be in a bit of pain/discomfort. I've worked with many Jack Russells who have lived easily up to 18, I wouldn't be quickly jumping into the "he's 13, he's old" just yet. Was any bloodwork considered? Pain management? I'm really surprised a vet would seemingly just shrug his shoulders and be like, it is what it is.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

Thanks guys.. I think I will take the advise on board and get a second look at him/opinion.

Appreciate the replies.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

The staring would concern me, as it can be a sign of doggy dementia.

Definitely get a second opinion.

Yeah, that's what Google seems to be telling me aswell, we've started memory games.. like hide and seek to exercise his brain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭bb12

i have 4 mini jack russells at the moment, 3 who are turning 13 this year and their momma who will be 15 this year...momma had a bad accident years ago where she broke her pelvis in half so she has arthritis...i know when she's feeling pain so i always have some rheumocam on hand which i get from the vet and i give her a dose of that which fixes her right up for days or weeks on end afterwards...for all of them they get a fish body oil tablet each day...i've always sworn by this and it really helps all the joints and general well bring esp in older dogs...

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

My jack russell is sixteen and female her main issues are drinking a lot more water ( checked for diabetes & hasnt got it ) therefore more frequent peeing. I sometimes find myself in my pjs in the field at 3 am,. She eats well and i give her Youmove tablets for her joints and general well being. She is great the peeing meybe just drinking more or maybe finding his dogmeal more salty. the standing & staring could be onset cataracts so vision is blurry my girl does this and shes is fairly deaf too. A gentle massage all over is good for them and maybe get one of those long slender hot water bottles to wrap around his bed and then he will stay in it. A rubber sheet under him helps too for the wetting. Heat is good for any pain he may have the old hot water bottle is amazing and they rest in the heat.

Thank you Bertie, yeah Rocco is the same, definitely more thirsty, I have given him much better quality food and the Canine Gold has worked wonders - he isnt stretching his back legs as much and can sit/lie in the one position for much longer than before, I definitely feel he seems to be more comfortable.

Great tip on the hot water bottle/ rubber mat, will try that too.. Thank you 🙂

Advertisement