Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Router recommendation to prevent access from other parts of network

• 28-01-2022 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi,

Fibre BB (FTTH) has just been made available and I am looking to upgrade my internet setup at home. I plan on getting fibre installed in the house, and then using a wireless bridge (something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07Z4KHHLN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to extend the internet access to a shed 100m away. The internet in the shed will be used for work purposes while the house internet will be used mainly for streaming, video calls etc. I would like to keep the shed and house internet separated if possible (keep the kids and their friends away from being able to access work devices in the shed, and stop any users in the shed having access to devices on the house network). Can this be easily configured in routers? What is the best means of this? Firewall/Proxy/VPN? I would like to have it set up so that even if the router in the house is set to defaults (and any restrictions removed) the router in the shed will still block access to devices on its network.

Can anyone recommend a wireless router with good range that could also support separating the work and house stuff?

We won't be heavy, or performance users and we are hoping to minimise cost. Range would be a higher priority than speed or latency.

Any suggestions appreciated

Thanks

Brian

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

I was looking for the same box to segregate the CCTV network and found the TP-Link AC1200 Wireless Dual Band RouterModel No. Archer C50

I use it more like a switch, it's a nice bit of gear tons of features for the price. No issues with it.

Excerpt from the help of the AC1200 Access Point help icon;

Internet Access Control Rule Management

The Router, providing convenient and strong internet access control function, can control the internet activities of hosts in the LAN. Moreover, you can flexibly combine the Host List, Target List and Schedule to restrict the Internet surfing of these hosts.

Enable Internet Access Control - Select the check box to enable the Internet Access Control function, so the Default Filter Rule can take effect.

Description - Here displays the name of the rule and this name is unique.

LAN Host - Here displays the host selected in the corresponding rule.

Target - Here displays the target selected in the corresponding rule.

Schedule - Here displays the schedule selected in the corresponding rule.

Rule - Allow or deny the packets not specified by any filtering rules to passthrough this device.

Status - The status of the rule.

Edit - Here you can edit an existing rule.

You can tell it to Allow/Deny traffic from inbound or out source/destination

Nice feature!

Advertisement