Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mind the gap!

Options
  • 28-01-2022 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

This s a gap that exists behind my kitchen cabinets where the floor meets the wall..house is just bought so I'm discovering little bits and pieces like this.. anyway.. Most of this gap is filled with expanding foam. A lot of this foam has gathered dust and we've a bit of a humidty issue so there is mold there too. Is there a neater solution to shore up this space? It's no visible to anyone.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi, is there air passing through the gap? It's hard to see as the photo was taken with the flash at the below the lens, so the shadows are elongated.

If there is air passing freely through, I'd probably use more expanding foam, otherwise if you're just looking for a general gap filler - a sand & cement mix to make a mortar would do fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

Hi - sorry it was tricky to get a good shot. The gap is a full inch from wall to floor. I don't think there's much air flowing through. I didn't notice it anyway. I'll do a smoke test to see. The expando is probably the easiest and quickest way to go about it.. Let's say there was airflow and I went down the sand & cement route.. Would this be wrong? Consequences?

Oh, so the gap is actually how wide and deep? And what's down there? Is it concrete on the wall side and wood on the tile-side and open at the bottom, or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,279 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Could you cut the foam so it’s flush and then put on a skirting board ?

The wall is plastered plasterboard - wooden frame .. probably a bit of space behond that and then cavity blocks.. the house isn't well sealed at all so I'm guessing if i were a small creature i'd have an easy time of getting around.. not that I'm worried about that.. the gap could go all the way back to the blockwork.. i''ll stick a measuring tape when i'm back there later.. when the tiles end on the floor its just the concrete slab under them and presumably under the wall too..

• Advertisement

I did this around the sink area where there was also foam and it seemed alright..I assume the foam doesn't need its full mass to be more effective than if i shaved it down???

If it's that substantial, I'd stuff it with rock/glass/wool insulation rather than expanding foam. Nothing worse than needing that same gap for wires when it's already filled with concrete or expanding foam!

interesting, so don't seal it off at all.. certainly easier and there is a full bale of unused wool in the attic.. might give that a go. thanks

Advertisement