Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Hail the Mighty Ren & Stimpy!

Options
  • 28-01-2022 3:32am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭

These bizarre and frankly at times revolting cartoon creations of the early 1990s actually made it onto the children’s channel Nickelodeon, wherafter it was promptly banned for “inappropriate content” and transferred over to the cable channels and MTV. 😎😁👍👍

Anyone else have fond memories of Ren and Stimpy, the desperate duo of late night 1990s television when being under the influence of mood enhancers made for an altogether side splitting spectacle? 😁🤣😂😜😜

...anyone else have fond memories of these guys?

Post edited by JupiterKid on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Mid - 90's was a shooting gallery of oddball, American cartoons. Preferred Duckman meself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,638 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

‘Duckman’ was class. Would be great if a channel picked up a few of those, more adult, cartoons for a rerun.

Ones like ‘Undergrads’, ‘God, The Devil, and Bob’, ‘Stressed Eric’ ‘The Critic’ and, even, ‘The Life & Times of Tim’.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I never liked Ren and Stimpy as a kid. In retrospect, it wasn't really a kids show at all.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Ren and Stimpy

Doug

Pingu

Beavis and Butthead

Roger Mellie - The man on the telly

Crapston Villas

Daria

Duckman

The Critic

all were staples of my youth

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Wasn't really a kid's show but it apparently did good ratings on Nickelodeon so they kept airing it. I believe the creator of the show John Kricfalusi was eventually fired by Nickelodeon though which led to bad blood between them. John Kricsalusi also had bad blood with Billy West as well. Howard Stern had them both on his show.

The video is almost an hour long but it's interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Another favourite Ren & Stimpy episode of mine - Stinky, the missing fart of Stimpy and their happy Christmas reunion. 😁😆😛

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭AllForIt

All I watched in the 90's was Madonna's Vogue music video. Never watched anything else for a whole decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Absolutely nothing came close to 'Ren and Stimpy'. None of those 90's wannabes were fit to sniff its farts. 'Beavis and Butthead'...pfft. 'King of the Hill'...bah.

It's still remarkable to watch today as well, whereas other outrage cartoons of the period just look dated and weak. 'Ren and Stimpy' still works and the sheer WTF element remains part of the draw. The episode where Ren pulls all of his teeth out (including the nerve endings) is still one of the most horrible and hilarious things I've ever seen in a cartoon.

You'll never see its like again. I don't even know where to start with some of this stuff...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

THat's another great episode of Ren & Stimpy. Fully agree that it stood head and shoulders above the rest of the 1990s adult-oriented cartoons. Duckman wasn't too bad though!

How on Earth it was seen as okay to be aired on Nickelodeon I will never know... 🤔

Advertisement