Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

scanner any use nowadays?.

• 26-01-2022 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭

as the title says are the any use now,is there anything really interesting to be heard apart from aeroplane pilots etc?.

Comments

Not really sure, perhaps if you live in larger towns, Dublin you could also pick up PMR446 radios ?

My interests are mostly LW/MW/SW don't really listen to anything above 30 Mhz.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭zg3409

Depending on where you live, aircraft (receiver needs AM mode), marine boats Shannon rivers etc. , licence exempt 446mhz, builders cranes, children.

Amateur radio receive such as 144mhz voice repeaters, audio satellites,

Some taxis still use voice radio, but many use apps or digital radio.

Some digital common options are aircraft positions, boat positions, digital amateur radio modes such as voice, position, digital amateur satellites.

Interesting things that went non clear such as Gardai, mobile phones, are not easily decoded, although high end solutions may exist. Baby intercoms and cordless phones are mostly digital these days.

If you look at below 30mhz you can international boats, aircraft, military, broadcasts, amateur radio.

In terms of really interesting, unlikely you will come across very interesting stuff, compared to days of old

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Scanners are certainly less use than they used to be.. Gardaí, Fire and Ambulance services are long gone now. As Mad Lad says, there are still some interesting finds in City areas. I mainly use the scanner for air and marine band now - there is always some traffic on there ... sometimes combined if there is an air sea rescue or exercise going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭madnessnmayhem

I get some Dublin Bus from time to time only way conversation from the depot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

My Baofeng picks up local busses and marine/harbour traffic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

Advertisement