Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is Engineering For Me?

• 26-01-2022 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Hi. Just looking for a bit of advice from anyone who has experience of an engineering course or has gone on to be an engineer. Just wondering what it is like? I haven’t done engineering for the leaving cert and wouldn’t be overly naturally interested in how things work etc. but I am considering it as a career as I think it might be an enjoyable one that might suit me. I suppose what I’m asking is what does the course mostly entail? Also any advice on how to choose between the different types of engineering. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I'm a civil/structural engineer

Firstly LC Engineering is not particularly important

Maths, Physics, Tech Drawing and Chemistry be more useful.

I did a degree course back in 2000 and i would not advise anyone who did pass Maths or Physics to go near it.

Engineering as a career is so broad it would be difficult to advise anyone. I ended up on site as a civil engineer. But I have a brother who worked as a Mech Engineer in a design office for a car company. Also know people who went straight into Intel as graduates. My wife is an engineer and she has friends who work for the likes of EY as management consultancy.

All i can say is to do a bit of research into your aptitudes and likes/dislikes. Don't chose a course on reputation or what you think it might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

I did a degree in electrical and electronic eng a while ago. I did entail some mechanical eng courses (but no civil or chemical so can't comment on them).

So before I start I would ask how strong is your maths as all engineering is applied maths and physics. For me anyway, maths came alive in a way on the course as you use it as a tool to solve problems and create stuff, whether it be an electric motor, computer chip or mobile phone.

Of the different courses I would say (but I am biased) that

• civil has the least complex maths
    • mechanical & chemical next level
    • Electronic - the hardest maths

At a high level my course covered -

Power - electricity generation, distribution and electric motors

Electronics - design and development of electronic circuits (stuff like quantum mechanics & logic)

Signal processing - analog (eg FM radio) and digital (eg HDTV) (very mathematical)

Communications - very much tied into signal processing but how the various different communication systems work (eg mobile, fixed telecoms, broadband)

Engineering gives you a great training in problem solving as it basically is about breaking a big problem down into solveable smaller problems. Think about a car engine and all the components that go into it - each of these has to be engineered separately and brought together to make up an engine.

My course was quite tough, I had many, many more lectures than most other courses but I have no regrets on taking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭highball14

Thanks for the replies. Both of you mentioned what subjects I’m doing and what my level of maths is like. My maths is of a high level I’d be expecting a very high grade in it and I find it relatively easy. I also do applied maths. I find it more difficult than maths but I’m still ok at it. I also do physics, I like the mechanics part of the subject but I don’t like/find difficult the electrical and particles/atoms side of it. If I was to do engineering I would do an undenominated engineering course to see which part of it I like most but I’d expect myself to lean towards civil engineering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭landofthetree

I did engineering in UCD.

Back then places for each branch of engineering were assigned on your first year exam results. That was fine if your choice wasn't that popular but some people did miss out on their first choice.

I don't know if this is the case nowadays. But its something you should find out before you apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Don't disagree with any of the above. Just chipping in here on the basis of your comments about not being overly interested in how things work and finding maths quite easy. Maybe consider not struggling with the applied maths at all if you are not especially interested in the application i.e. engineering! Pure maths might be an easier* route for you and you'll enjoy college much more if doing something you are good at. You'll get four years to think more about the future and get great advice from others. The pool of people with maths degrees is tiny compared with engineering, there are loads of opportunities.

* Here's the caveat: pure maths would be a very challenging degree for most people. Your school maths teacher almost certainly does not have a pure maths degree and so their advice is limited. Instead email a couple of university Maths departments and ask can you talk to someone about this; they tend to be very helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

BTW civil is civil structural or civil structural and environmental depending where you do it.

The environmental bit has proven more and more useful as the years go on.

I went to trinity. First 2 years were common and you chose whichever you wanted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I did engineering.My sister did pure maths.

I am a civil engineer,although I did a course that was civil/mechanical in first year UCD, then chose at year end (I disliked Thermodynamics intensely..).Civil engineering in UCD covers maths, structures, soil mechanics, fluid dynamics, materials, among other subjects.It is a full on 9-5 course if you do any engineering, you will not be sauntering in for late lectures or have too many free hours.It is very heavy on the maths,everything is maths.

As a career it is extremely broad.I have spent a number of years on site, and then moved into energy supply -at the moment I am in a project management type role. I have met engineers employed in many different roles to be honest, and they are generally in demand across many sectors for roles at all levels.

Money-wise, I'll be honest - there isn't much money in civil engineering.You do alright, but you would do better in say Chemical engineering - starting salaries tend to be mid-40k and higher.Mechanical seems to have the most variety in it as a career choice.

Have to say, I never regretted doing engineering.

Advertisement