Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 47k a good salary for Deskside Support

Options
  • 26-01-2022 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi All,

Would 47k be a good salary for Deskside Support salary with 5 yrs experience 25 days holidays??

my two colleagues are on much more but as contractors not pern they are in region of €320 day rate. I thought this was very high for the role but it is pharmaceuticals.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

What pension contribution, profit sharing, bonus, overtime and other perks do you have?

Where is the job located?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Remember they have to pay tax, holidays, and pensions with that daily rate. They can also lose the contract overnight. As a salaried person, you will also be able to get a mortgage easier than them.

Personally, I don't know the daily rate for IT support but seems a good wage to me with 5 years experience.

What's the career progression like?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,670 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Back in the day you would compare the day rate @ 230 days against an annual salary, as you would not be paid bank holidays or holiday leave, so that would work out at €73.6k.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Not sure if it's in any way a good comparison but I did stumble across a UK job posting the other day for IT Support Manager in the NHS - Essex, just outside of London. The high point of the salary scale on the ad was ~£46k.

€47k for deskside/ITS seems quite decent to me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

What does deskside IT support do?

Why is this forum a subforum of Leaving Cert?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

contracting in pharma pays well and i'd recommend it because the talent pool for deskside is appalling and with your experience you will dominate,

47k seems about right for a perm role depending on the job

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭CandyButcher

The have health cover benefit and a defined contribution pension.. not sure yet how much they match, they say there big on PDP too.

on a recent interview they said there base salary was 45k I said I would be looking for 47k which they offered on a contract, I haven’t signed it yet but I have verbally agreed.

kind of raging I didn’t chance it and ask for 50-55k after hearing what colleagues are making. They are under a different agency though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I assume it's helpdesk, ITS kinda thing.

No idea why it's in the LC section.

47K would be the upper end of desktop support if you are just supporting users in an office. It can range anywhere from 25K to 50k. If its head honcho Office with CEO and his deputy’s of a large company can be a lot more.

pharmaceuticals is different and pay more as if there in a factory and something goes wrong with a PC the whole plant could waste millions of product. Your running around the place like a headless chicken configuring applications. Usually the desktop support ties in with server support as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭CandyButcher

Purely supporting users not servers so X does X and Y does Y. Its also pretty basic troubleshooting too and workstation builds.

thanks for all replies guys!

• Advertisement
Advertisement