Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who are the people who make death threats

Options
  • 25-01-2022 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭

Every now and then there is some news story where somebody is identified. This inevitably leads to people contacting them and making death threats. Who are the people who do this. Can't think of any reason I would contact a stranger to threaten them because I heard of something they may or may or not have done. Yet people do this why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I suppose it's the angry Facebook crowd who all feed off each other's rage

• Registered Users Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I suspect that a lot if them don't make threats but rather wish death or harm on someone. As a lot of people are stupid and pushing a narrative, the recipient portrays "you should be shot dead" as "I will shoot you dead".

It is a cur mentality. In Italy a player Vlahovic of Fiorentina might move to Juventus. Last night the banners threatening his life were put up. These people are simple of mind and low of honour

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I am talking about the people who do make death threats no need to bring in perception from the victim as actual death threats do get made. It isn't a public comment issue but actually contacting the person. Nothing like a sign about football managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 aisling0800

A lot of these people (if not all) would be classified as sadists or have some other personality disorder. They get off on causing someone emotional distress by threatening them.

• Advertisement

So you think a person ringing and threaten a rape suspect is doing it just for kicks? I doubt that is the reasoning as some think it is a sense of justice.

My uncle died in a car crash caused by another driver. Some relatives were talking about how they wish the driver would burn in hell, they kill him if they saw him etc... and one then said they have his address and phone number. The driver moved away about a year later and I was told he had been getting death threats. I suspected one of my cousins (not my dead uncle's child). For the record the driver was at fault but 1000s do the same thing everyday with no harm to others but as my uncle didn't have a seat belt it was fatal.

I also remember after the Stardust fire many of the employees were attacked and threatened. It isn't all bluster and anonymous threats people endure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

A guy who lives near me has the same name (not a very common name at all) as someone who is in the news for a crime. His house has been getting eggs thrown at it for 10 years now. Regular death threats too. And even his car getting keyed often.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I can understand the appeal of tormenting someone who I feel has personally wronged me, and I am certainly guilty of having taken this to unhealthy lengths. But I cannot understand why you’d want to do this to someone who is a total stranger who has allegedly done something. Screams of ego boost and self righteousness, plus the ill conceived notion that online activity is anonymous.

I guess it’s safe to say that it’s a cowardly way to torment someone, because it reduces the chance of actually carrying out said action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

The best way to get past having someone personally wrong you, is to totally walk away from that person and never engage with them again under any circumstances. Anger and desire for revenge will eat away at you.

• Advertisement

Usually the dregs of society make these threats. Like the clown who dragged his dead uncle to the post office. More likely to make the death threat if told no publicly, so personally love it when they make their demands in front of an audience

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Packrat

Years ago I had several vehicles on the road with work. One of them clipped mirrors with another vehicle on a narrow street in Cork (from the explanation I got it was 50/50 and id trust the particular employee more than myself to tell the truth)

Anyway, my number being on the van, the other fella starts ringing asking me to pay (obviously I refused) and ultimately moved to death threats after a few days.

I called the gardai and they checked him out. Turns out he was a moderately dangerous criminal with a record for gbh and a manslaughter conviction.

I nearly shat myself but in any case he stopped calling and I never heard anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Hodger

It all depends what was done or what happened and everyone is different.

Those of us who have parents who went to school during the Christian brothers days a lot have stories from those times.

My father told me a story about a guy he went to school with; the guy was was kinda quiet in school and one of the Christian brothers gave him an awful hard time anyway cutting to the chase of it years later when the guy was all grown up he called to the school one day looking for the brother to fight him once the brother saw him he retreated and called the guards.

Luckily I wasn,t of that generation that went to school during the Christian brother days; for the guy to of went back to the school as a man to challenge the brother it must of eaten at him for years the way this particular brother treated him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

I agree that it’s not easy to walk away. Sometimes if it’s close family then it’s almost impossible. I have personally found that putting as much distance between myself and the person/people who hurt me is much better then trying to get revenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

A friend of mine was suspended from school for two weeks for sending a death threat to his Maths teacher, a fairly harmless and nervous man. His hand-written death threat claimed to be from the IRA. (This was in the late 80s.) The goon didn't think of disguising his hand-writing... 🙄 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The most famous death threat of all time...

"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you"

You are the one who said you tormented people in revenge and I never said you made death threats. You have stooped to a cowardly acts. You passed it off as just something people do. Don't want your actions judged then don't tell people how low you go. I get no pleasure out of calling people out I just don't care if they feel judged or don't like reality of what they are like. Do a horrible thing and tell me I will say it is horrible and I certainly won't keep company with people who do such things.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

Ahh yes. Another one of Ray's tall tales that probably didn't happen

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭animalinside

This is it I think. Also the likes of "wouldn't it be a shame if you were to fall off". There's something very deceitful about going around bandying "death threats" like that - nobody makes a death threat like that and if they did the person threatened should probably be under surveillance or something. Like a bomb threat - you don't hear people saying "we've had bomb threats" - of course not, that's way too serious. I'd guess that when it started to be used in the media first "death threat" sounded extremely dramatic but over time as so many have used it it's just considered an every day thing to claim. There are also a large amount of people who will just plain lie, especially the case if they're desperately trying to go viral.

This could create a very dangerous situation if someone received actual death threats without realizing that this is completely abnormal. On the other hand some very frustrated (and dumb) individual might say "i'm gonna kill you!!!" thinking this is a normal way to express anger and get themselves thrown in prison. There should be no fooling around about death threats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Mental health issues note not mental illness, those who are easily triggered they see someone wealthy, or a woman or someone on social welfare and they have no filter, maybe a bit lacking in ability, chip on their shoulder, a bit dense.

So mental health issues, a bit dense, no filter, combined with a sense of entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The big question here that maybe need to be asked should be if someone did make a death threat in front of you; what happens to your sense of self afterwards?

Would a whole range of emotions go through your head once it's said to your own face?

I would suspect that the atmosphere surrounding it would be very intense & distressing for the victim involved apart from the perpetrator who is carrying out the threat in front of them.

If complete strangers were going about their business out in public whilst not being aware of their own surroundings around them; I would think they would be in deep shock & disbelief with them very inclined to say "What the actual F*ck?" as a way of an inital response to try & assess the situation at the hand.

You may feel a great sense of panic within yourself if this was was happening out in public in real time. No innocent person out there would ever want to put themselves into a point of creating a panic situation if they were not inclined to do it to others.

Advertisement