Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backing up old 2.5 inch drives

Options
  • 25-01-2022 3:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭

I've got 5 data drives, 3. 2.5inch Sata I have one 500gig drive 3.5inch and it works fine in a caddy with external power 2amp 12volt

I tried 3 2.5inch in a non powered caddy USB to sata it has label 1amp above the USB port. Is it safe to plug a 2.5 inch drive into the caddy with the 2amp 12volt power supply? These drives are 5 years old I. Just want to copy old mp3 files on them they were used in old laptops there's no important files to recover just random mp3 files I'm just curious to see if they still work

The 2.5 Sata drives are 250 and 80 gig

I don't know why the non powered caddy has 1amp on it as pc usb ports are usually 500ma not 1amp i understand 3.5 inch drives require 12v 1.5 or 2amp to work properly i also have a 3.5 inch external drive enclosure with 1.4 tb drive in it if I plug a drive into the caddy it has a red led, led glows blue when the data is being copied to my pc or the drive is active eg working normally, reading data

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Amperage on supply side - this much it is rated to provide/sustain. Drives on draw side, will take whats needed. Should be fine, but you can check by disk datasheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

To be clear my 500 gig 3.5 drive works fine in the caddy as I assume any normal 3.5 inch drive would, I read some 3.5 inch drives use 1.5 or 2amp power to spin up the drive I just want to be sure is it safe to use a 2.5inch drive in the caddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I looked it up on tech Republic it says 2.5 inch Sata drives will work in any 3.5 inch enclosure 2amp 12v. The electrical connections are the same it should be safe to do so the physical connectors are the same they'll draw the power ampage they need to spin up the drive

Advertisement