Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Increase? Effective date

Options
  • 24-01-2022 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

My rental cycle is 1st to 30/31.

LL served a notice on 10th Nov and hence new rent should be effective from 9th/10th Feb on expiry of 90 Days.

LL is insisting on paying rent from 1st Feb at the new rate. Please advice.

Per my calculation : First 8 days should be at the old rate and rest 20 of Feb at the new rate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭DubCount

I believe your calculation is correct.

Is 8 days worth of increase worth damaging your relationship with your LL?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ggmat799

Same landlord charged 1980.40 as rent. Did not round off either way.

LL is a venture fund, took 6 weeks to arrange for rectification of boiler issue

LL does not allow you to change electricity provider. Meter is in my name and using Pinergy.

Relationship is both ways. If they cannot even round off rent or perform their obligations, we are expected to throw few quids in charity.

I would pass relationship with such a person. It is a business deal with such Venture funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,041 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Ya, I think you are correct op. This is purely a business transaction so both parties should behave as such. They are not entitled to increase rent until the notice period has elapsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

That's what we get as a people when we allowed vulture funds buy up out houses apartments over the last 5 years. People should have being on the streets of Dublin marching but no we let it happen...

See the result of people power in Donegal with the mica in the houses... i blame the people for allowing it to happen... now people are crying foul when the game is over... it has been discussed here but no-one cared except me it seems and it doesn't effect me at all...

OP is it worth the hassle as you just upsetting yourself these fcukers don't care about people....

TBF, for years posters have been calling for a more professional rental model, and small LLs are being driven from the sector by legislation which is too pro-tenant. So I’m not sure why you think investors are nefarious, or why they should care about tenants on a personal level, this is purely a business transaction, and as such, the op’s LL are required to abide by the regulations which apply.

Getting on your soap box and shouting against investment funds is both pointless and misinformed. The reality is that they are the only ones currently investing in providing rental properties, buy-2-let mortgage figures confirm that small, Irish, private investors are abandoning the rental market.

• Advertisement

This is led by Government policy and we are the people that should have a say... your attitude is typical of whats going on in this Country...

We have just created a generation of professional poor people because of rent.... people like you don't hive a sith about them...

I never shouted against investment funds if they build the properties... no they bought properties that was built with planning for people/families and got generous tax breaks in the process...

That's what happened... thats not soap box stuff... its the reality...

I’m not going to get into a back and forth with you about why we have arrived at the point we find ourselves, but I can tell you this, it is not the responsibility of the private sector to sort out the rental problem.

Were special conditions on families attached to planning permissions? Can you link to any developer bought by an investment fund which contravened the planning permission given? If you can, then it really is up to the Council to enforce the terms of the pp.

You think its ok and i don't think its right... I was talking to a couple over Christmas... both Masters degrees good jobs after working through college with financial support from their parents.

Now both working good jobs for last 4/5 years and haven't a hope of getting a house in the current housing crisis... its good enough for us as we allowed it to happen... that's what i am saying....

They should look for jobs in areas they can afford to buy. This isn’t a new phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

We were renting a house worth 175k for 1400 a month we decided to buy one for 300k to save money. lol

Rent is a joke in this country i can only laugh at the "pro tenant" argument that gets thrown about to drum up sympathy for landlords and they making money hand over fist if they source decent renters (which there is no shortage of)

• Advertisement

For me it is a new phenomenon in Ireland... it may be you know something i not aware of so you can enlighten me...

Where they can afford... that's exactly what they said.... but not in Ireland... college struggle to pay for degree... work struggle to live... that's what they are doing...we should be looking after them... we are not...

I think likely that they go and i think be better for them...

I half agree with you but individual landlords are pushed out because of tax... vulture funds get tax breaks... if developer sells to fund paid upfront for whole development... bank gets paid... legal/E agents paid... everyone wins... that's the game... Bob Dylan sang "only a pawn in the game" that's you...

Advertisement