Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outlook 365 - Email address/account name not the same as actual email address. How to change?

Options
  • 24-01-2022 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭

I have five email addresses set up in Outlook.

The name of the Inbox for four of them is actual email address of that account.

The name of the Inbox for the fifth one (a new email address) is a slightly shortened version of the correct address. It's @institution.ie rather than @staff.institution.ie

When I click on New Email, the full, correct address appears in the new email. I've sent a few tests, and to some of my other addresses, and they were received.

How can I change the name of the Inbox of the new email to the full, correct email address? i.e. me@staff.institution.ie

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I realise now that it may be the name of the .ost file, which I may have incorrectly named when I set up the new email account.

So, can I rename this file at its location and have it appear corrected in Outlook?

Thanks.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

So does your email address read dinarius@institution.ie or dinarius@staff.institution.ie ???

Do not touch .ost . Wont help, will kill that datafile, incurring re-download of all mail, with same naming.

I any way, any renaming/changes you want to make should be done on the portal, better by admin/IT

In case other address is already an alias to your actual account, it was incorrectly added to your outlook and will require remove account / add account

My email address is the second one.

But, the account name, above Inbox, and its name in the .ost file, is the first one.

Sending and replying is working perfectly. I’ve only used it a handful of times since I set it up yesterday. So, I could probably delete the account (having saved the 3 or four sent and received emails) and set it up again.

Just wondering if I can fix it instead.

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

There is registry editing option, but.... , well your call https://www.slipstick.com/outlookcom/change-account-outlook/

You cant rename account in outlook, portal only, still require removal.

In outlook, Right click mail account and select remove "dinarius@institution.ie" , then go through add account wizard. Its not like downloading 50GB of data needed...

Removed the account and recreated it with correct account name.

It downloaded the few emails I had already sent and received.

Perfect now.

Thanks.

D.

• Advertisement
Advertisement