Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any apps for assisting 7 year old reading

Options
  • 24-01-2022 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭

Is there any apps etc that would progress reading and spelling for a 7 year old?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Without knowing the child, it's hard to give very specific suggestions- do you mean in phonics, comprehension, vocabulary?

Teach your Monster to Read is worth a look, depending on which class they are in (might be a bit too easy for 2nd) Reading Eggs gives a free trial, have a look and see what you think.

There's a saying " there's no app to beat your lap," which holds true for that age too. Do you read to them every day?Do they have access to good books- the library " borrow box" service, which is done electronically , is great. Have you ever done "shared reading?"

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Alquaa

Teacher here, there are a few good apps to help children Starfall being the main one (4 different starfall apps all useful for initial reading). Epic has a wide range of books online also.

In my opinion however the best way to improve a child’s reading is by reading with them. Go to your local library and get some picture books and repeat the same one for a week ask questions talk about the story predict what comes next etc. This will develop vocabulary and help with sight words as often there is plenty of repetition.

Decodeable readers are one of the best ways to help a struggling/emerging reader also I’d highly recommend Julia Donaldson’s songbird collection it should be attainable and rewarding for an early reader with help from parent of course!

It’s fantastic you’re on the ball to help, try not to get frustrated every child learned to walk and talk at different stages the reading and writing process is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Thank you both for your help. I've signed up to Reading eggs to start off.

I want to spend some time improving the reading. I have a progressive disability and cannot read but will be able to help with difficult words.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

My daughter is really enjoying the reading eggs app and I hope to find something to test and improve her spelling.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Spelling wise, check her written work and pick the most common words she mis-spells and do look say cover write and check on them. Brendan Culligan is an Irish lecturer with particular interest in spelling. His core-word list one is made of the most commonly used written words.

http://www.ballynacallyns.com/images/pdf/corewords%20spelling%20programme.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Anto17

Hi, I have not much idea about the apps available. However, from my personal experience, I would tell you that reading with your child would be the best way to develop a reading habit and increase their vocabulary. Try getting books from local libraries or through online, sort out your child's taste of genre and instill the habit of reading gradually. This would surely work wonders.

Advertisement