Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trip to Edinburgh

Options
  • 24-01-2022 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

Hi,

I am heading to Edinburgh for 3 days in March with my wife. We are thinking about the things we ant to see and do and we are wondering given our short stay is it worth taking a trip to the highlands either by tour or hire a car? If so, what where would you recommend going?

Also, is there anything that you would recommend in the city itself?

Sorry if this has been asked before but I cant seem to figure out how to do an advanced search in the travel forum. Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,039 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

There's plenty to see and do in Edinburgh for 3 days, wouldn't take a day out of it.

The castle is a must see, and that can take a couple of hours. Mary King's close is pretty cool too.

There's theatre, museums, a great zoo a pub with crazy golf in it, something for everyone. Fantastic walks too, in the city and on the outskirts

My favourite thing is to stroll around and explore the city see what takes your fancy. The only tourist thing I've done there that I don't recommend is the ghost bus tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭JimboJones99

Thanks very much for your reply. That is my thoughts alright, it was recommended to us that we go on a day trip but I just dont think it is worth the time and travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

The ghost tour was very good I recall. Also haggis is lovely incidentally 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stanley 1

Go see the Royal Yacht "Britannia"

https://www.royalyachtbritannia.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Edinburgh to the highlands and back in a day will be a very long and tiring day and mostly from just the journey to and back. You won't get much time to enjoy the sights.

Edinburgh is great, just go and stroll, both Old Town and "new". The castle view from Prince's St in the day is quality but it verges on stunning when they light it up at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Castle

Scott Monument

Britannia

Grassmarket

Murrayfield

Monkey Barrel Comedy

Countless excellent Restaurants and Bars :-)

Enjoy the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Used to live in Edinburgh, pretty much all is covered in the above posts. Would also add a trip over to Glasgow, its only 40mins away by train - lot to do and see there for a half day/day.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭JimboJones99

Thanks for all your replies, they seem to back up my gut instinct that there will be plenty to do/see in the city itself and to leave a trip to the highlands for another time

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Arthur's seat if the weather is good

National Museam of Scotland if the weather is bad

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stanley 1

Do stay in The Balmoral, if you can afford it, if not at least go and have a look inside whilst you relieve yourself, free of charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Agreed. Up north and back on the same day is tiring, specially on a guided tour stopping here and there. I did it some years ago, got to Loch Ness and left after a few minutes there. The scenery is awesome and well worth going up at your own pace.

I did the Edinburgh vaults tour, which I thought it was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Heading over for weekend and looking for pubs suggestions

Been there a while and aware of haymarket pubs just looking for recommendations that do good food

Also any good late night pubs. Taking in a Hibs game also so any good pubs around the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Pubs wise, The Amber Rose on Church Street is great, especially if you get one of the wee bunker type rooms under the street! There are so many pubs in that area actually, just it stood out from a recent trip.

Food-wise, if you like Thai, you will love Chaophraya across the road from the Amber, if Indian is your thing then Dishoom is lovely and if you want truly amazing Scottish food, go to the sister of award-winning Glasgow restaurant the Gannet (Irish owner/chef) in the new James' quarter shopping centre.

Go to Camera Obscura near the castle, visit Greyfriars Bobby and if you are up for learning, hit Dynamic Earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

In general, would most on here rate Edinburgh above any English cities bar London?

looking for a 2 night break in March with girlfriend, done liverpool / Newcastle / Bristol / London before and london last weekend for a lads trip so it’s a no.

pondered Edinburgh for a few years now, I don’t rate the English cities that highly except for London, and liverpool for a bit of craic and hospitality.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,039 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Edinburgh is a fab city. I go at least once a year. Love it!!

Did you mean Grassmarket rather than Haymarket? Lots of pubs there.

Late night pubs either Cowgate or around George st. I think Stramash is best - live music every night and open until 3.

For Hibs, you are looking at Leith Walk. Lots of pubs there and you can play Leith walk roulette - the pubs are either student or jakey and you will only find out which when you go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Heading over myself this weekend and that sounds like my kinda game! Not sure she'd be too happy with it though. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Yes grassmarket not Hay market..

Hibs tickets only cost €5 so will sample few pubs in Leith hopefully no Begbie characters 😁

Connaught also playing Friday

I like Cafe Royal pub so will pay that a visit and last drop. Might try brewdog but might stay clear of three sisters

No clubbing but like some music pub or alternative late bars

Will see where the wind takes us but any other suggestions let me know

Down at the end of Leith walk, is Leith (the old port) - lots of good pubs and restaurants on the Shore. Teuchters Landing is there - good food as well

Advertisement