Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Watch tools for battery changes etc?

Options
  • 24-01-2022 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

Would love to get some recommendations for value for money tools I should purchase to adjust straps and also for opening cases for battery swaps!

I have a terrible habit of putting my watches in my drawer as soon as they go dead!

I counted 8 watches needing battery's so I think it's the sensible option to be able to do my own battery change and adjustments when I get a new piece!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Battery changes are pretty easy once you get a few under your belt. Tools required would be a set of screwdrivers, a tweezers with either wood or ceramic tips(can short out things with steel tweezers) and case opening tools. For screw on case backs the old rubber ball works well enough.

That lot would set up up pretty well and you could probably get the lot on ebay for 30 quid. One issue is water resistance after you open the watch. A proper battery change would also change the gaskets in the back, but your average jeweller shop battery change would likely not do that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

The rubber ball looks interesting are they good?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They work very well in most situations. Now with some watches particularly diver types the caseback is on very tight and in that case one of these jobs will do the trick.

Made of the finest Chinesium, but they work and can be had on ebay/amazon for a few quid.

That's for casebacks that are screwed on. Others are snapfit and in that case one of these does the job.

Others like on Casios have screwed backs but you'd already have watchmaking screwdrivers so you'd be covered there.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I literally ordered that screw back tool 5 mins ago along withe the ball any good sources for quality batteries?

Thanks again!

tbh EB I just buy Renata batteries from ebay. Over the years I found renata about the best, last a long time and far fewer duds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

I got one of these kits a few years ago and it's definitely in the value for money bracket. It has all the most common tools with spare springbars that I assume are junk.

Screw drivers needed a rub off some sand paper to clean them up.

Case back removal tool is pretty good, it comes with different teeth to fit different watches.

Spring bar tool is still going strong surprisingly.

Tweezers are shite.

Overall it was great value as long as you know you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I’ve had no luck with the rubber ball or those little flat tools for opening snap on case backs .Ended up buying one of these for opening a push fit case backs

And then had the problem of how to get the case back fitted again so had to buy one of these

Both tools made the job do able but I wouldn't want to be using them on a watch of any value as I felt I had to be rough enough with them which probably means I wasn't using them right .Safe to say I’m not a fan of push on case backs , much rather screw case backs

I don't believe I have any snap on cases I must double check!

Advertisement